Sewellia young

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shuwae

Sewellia young

Post by shuwae » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 pm

Here is a short clip of a young sewellia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NzlyetcJco

They keep surviving in my Aquatop filter. I never find any in my Eheim canister though. Has anyone seen their sewellia "spotted" spawn before? I've seen my lineolata spawn but not the "spotted" and am curious about when they spawn as my lineolata group stop spawning when it is winter and start again during spring. I did see a rather large egg, compared to the lineolata eggs, when I was changing out the food dish a few weeks ago but I do not think it was the "spotted" group.

There is also a thread with photos on the seriouslyfish forum about a linolata spawning with a speciosa. Interesting.

mattyd

Re: Sewellia young

Post by mattyd » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 pm

I've never seen my spotted Sewellia spawn.

I've only ever seen the lineolata spawn.

My fry survive easily in the HOB filter and I have a heap of gravel and pebbles of various sizes (and green beard algae) in the tank that the eggs and fry can survive amongst.

I really need to separate my spotted from the lineolata.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

shuwae

Re: Sewellia young

Post by shuwae » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:22 am

I am not sure where I read it but I remember someone mention that the spotted sewellias only spawn at night which I can understand why no one sees them spawn. They also mentioned that the spotted and lineolata will not spawn together but not sure if this is true as the speciosa and lineolata did.

I am not too worried about the fry as I have other fish that will eat the eggs and help control the sewellia population. I just give away the extra juveniles to friends/co-workers.