Need transfer tips

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

squid

Need transfer tips

Post by squid » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:17 am

I'm planning to transfer my 7 inch clown loaches from one tank to another. since i'm going to be treating their tank with antibiotics. any tips on how to transfer them without stressing them too much?

which would be better?
1. Catch them and place them into a plastic bag. then float the bag in the tank to be transferred to for an hour before releasing.
or
2. Catch them and place them into a bucket, then add some water from the other tank into the bucket, after 20 minutes put them into the other tank?

plaalye

Re: Need transfer tips

Post by plaalye » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 am

Get the water parameters in the new tank similar to the old tank and just release them. Why antibiotics? Cyano?

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:12 pm

How are you going to catch them? A net may damage them. I used a 5 gallon bucket. Put it in their current tank and lay it on its side at one end of the tank. Then using a large net, move them into the bucket. Pour a little of the water out and then pour them into the new tank. Worked for me.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Check out this fantastic idea for catching loaches without harming them:

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24801

squid

Post by squid » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:54 am

they are currently in a 300 gallon, I'll have to remove the driftwoods too.
My arowanas are having scale rot. Im unable to use antibiotics or lots of salt so far my loaches are tolerant of 1 tablespoon pero 5 gallon salt dosage. But it looks like i have to increase my slat concentration to treat my arowanas scales.

btw thats a cool looking clown loach trap :)