P.myersi spawning

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Danelle Vivier

P.myersi spawning

Post by Danelle Vivier » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

I recently got 6 Pseudogastromyzon myersi in my Hillstream tank (look in freshwater section). They had a few dominance fights and also dug quite a few holes for spawning. The problem is, I have sand and in other places gravel with about 8 - 12mm grain size. The gravel is too heavy for them to dig and spawn in, and the sand is very fine, so it easily closes the hole again.

Now what I want to know is if the sand is fine for them to spawn in. Will the eggs/fry survive in the sand and will they be able to come out? It's normal pool filter sand. there's currently 3 holes in the tank, the one they spawned in has already closed up.

Will it be fine or should I try to replace the sand with coarser gravel of about 3 - 4mm grain size?

Regards,
Danelle

mattyd

Re: P.myersi spawning

Post by mattyd » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:42 am

Why not get some shallow kitchen plastic containers and put various sized gravel in them, and bury them in the areas where they were trying to spawn. Then the fish will have various size gravel to chose from.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

Danelle Vivier

Re: P.myersi spawning

Post by Danelle Vivier » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Due to the infrastructure in the tank, meaning the large rocks and the piping, it would be hard to do that. I don't have a lot of open substrate space. If I buy larger grain gravel then I will replace all of the sand though.