Reticulated Loach Egg Bound

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JoelyE95

Reticulated Loach Egg Bound

Post by JoelyE95 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi All,

I have had this particular Reticulated Loach for about 3 years now since a baby, and of those years the last 2 have been where she appears egg bound where lately she has gotten even bigger.

Behaviour wise, nothing has changed. She eats well, moves like normal and is a happy loach.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get her to release her eggs? I just don't want her to die on me because of this problem.

Joel

Doc

Re: Reticulated Loach Egg Bound

Post by Doc » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:53 am

Is she the only one of her kind in there?
If not and you have stocking capacity then add about 10 or so of her species and with luck she'll release the eggs in the frenzy.. That is assuming she is egg bound and not carrying an internal growth, although lookking at the pic she is egg bound.
Water changes with cooler water can also help...
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

JoelyE95

Post by JoelyE95 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks for the reply Doc,

She is definitely not the only one of her species in the tank and there is definitely a male in there too. I am not quite sure if I have enough stock capacity for 10 more, but I could probably go another 4 before my tank is over stocked.

I do weekly (cooler by between 5-8 degrees) water changes between 70-85% of the tank so I can only then assume she just needs some more mates (even though she gets along well with everyone else).

Joel

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Ouch, she looks big! I've had females of several species get large with eggs...but not that big! Just my theory, but males seem to be much slower to get into maturity/ breeding mode, not just loaches either, cichlids, catfish, barbs etc., too. Only a very few had problems from what appeared to be egg binding & not in loaches IME.

Fishwife

Post by Fishwife » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:23 pm

I had a large yoyo female who became bound and I was sure she was done for. I gave her warm Epsom salt baths a couple times a day and she actually improved. She was back to normal after about three days. Hope she pulls thru!
http://www.bigfishcampaign.org/ .... Don't buy colored or tattooed fish! Let your LFS know you won't stand for it.