Noob Hillstream Tank Set-up Questions

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Lupine

Noob Hillstream Tank Set-up Questions

Post by Lupine » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Hello all! This is my first post here, so here goes. First off, I want to say I have read everything I can find on this subject (not that there's a whole lot out there) and still have a question or two.

I have a 20 gallon Long tank I was planning on setting up for some hillstreams. But I keep reading that 36"-48" is the minimum, regardless of species kept. I am wondering why this is. I've kept a couple of Sewellia lineolata for several years, successfully in a shorter tank. I hope someone can explain to me if it's true that I should not try to keep small hillstream loach species in a 20L and if so, why. Not that I will argue it, I just want to understand.

Next, if it is possible to successfully keep some smaller hillstream loaches in my 20L, species recommendations are welcome, particularly those well suited to hard, alkaline water.

Lastly, concerning powerheads for the manifold, I'm not sure how tank turn-over rate translates into flow rate (depends on the power behind the powerhead and length of the tank, no?) but all I've found so far for advice on building the manifold is using powerheads that provide roughly 10X turnover/hr. I guess I should be happy with that, but I'm not. For example, you would get the same flow rate using that formula in a 40 gallon Long tank (48'X12"X16") vs a 40 Breeder (36"X18"X16") which obviously has equal total volume but wider, shorter surface area. Is there any more specific info out there on how to calculate what powerhead/flow rate to use? Or maybe just suggestions on how many/what size powerheads to use in a 20L (or 40B if the 20L is not at all advisable).

Thanks in advance for any help.

shuwae

Re: Noob Hillstream Tank Set-up Questions

Post by shuwae » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:16 pm

A 20 long tank is a good enough tank for hillstream fish. Of course it will limit how many fish can be stocked. I have kept a few hillstream in a 24" tank but they were only in there for about 4 months.

My water is also hard with a ph of around 7.8 to 8, but I have been able to keep different species of gastromyzons, sewellias, and stiphodons. In my opinion, the ph or hardness does not matter. An established tank with plenty of algae and oxygen levels is the most important.

I do not have a manifold for my river tank but I do have 2 Eheim 2215 canisters and 2 400GPH powerheads on a 40g breeder and my fish look happy. The 10x/per gallon turnover is what I would. If it is a long tank, have higher GPH powerheads. I know other people use the 20x/per gallon to be safe as high oxygen levels is important. Sorry, can't help you on finding out calculations on what to have.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

shuwae wrote:I do not have a manifold for my river tank but I do have 2 Eheim 2215 canisters and 2 400GPH powerheads on a 40g breeder and my fish look happy. The 10x/per gallon turnover is what I would. If it is a long tank, have higher GPH powerheads. I know other people use the 20x/per gallon to be safe as high oxygen levels is important. Sorry, can't help you on finding out calculations on what to have.
Thanks for the input. It helps me a lot to know what other people have used with success.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 am

I think that the 36-48" recommendation you're referring to is about the viability of the manifold and not the fish. I tried a manifold in a 20 long and I didn't like it. It's not worth the trouble IMO. Water movement in such a small tank can be more easily achieved by other means, like a simple powerhead.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 pm

plaalye wrote:I think that the 36-48" recommendation you're referring to is about the viability of the manifold and not the fish. I tried a manifold in a 20 long and I didn't like it. It's not worth the trouble IMO. Water movement in such a small tank can be more easily achieved by other means, like a simple powerhead.
Thanks for the input! I was thinking the whole manifold thing would help actually circulate the water rather than just blasting it to the other end of the tank. Otherwise, why bother with it all? But what you said make sense. I think I will try just powerheads at first before adding fish and if it works out save the manifold construction for the 40B I've decided to set up for some of the larger (medium sized actually) loaches since I've found a few species in the 4-5" range that I really like. Again, thanks for replying, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

zenins

Post by zenins » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:17 pm

Here is an excellent article on Hillstream Loaches and how to set up an aquarium for them:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstr ... -fast-lane
Zenin