How to Feed in a River Tank?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Lupine

How to Feed in a River Tank?

Post by Lupine » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:58 am

OK, I feel stupid having to ask this. How do you feed your Hillstream/River tanks with their high flow and keep the food from blowing around and onto the filter intakes? So far I only have one very shy Akysis longifilis cat in my tank and he will not eat sinking pellets, he came out when he smelled bloodworms but I'm pretty sure he didn't get any even tho I rigged up a plastic pipe to sink them to the bottom of the tank.

DainBramage1991

Re: How to Feed in a River Tank?

Post by DainBramage1991 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:39 pm

I have all of my pumps on a power strip. I simply turn it off for a half-hour at feeding times.

Use a good quality power strip, the switches in the cheap ones don't last very long.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:43 pm

I have some tanks that I turn off the flow for awhile and others that I just place the food (pellets, bloodworms and brine shrimp) behind a rock or piece of driftwood that blocks the current flow.

Lupine

Post by Lupine » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks for the replies. I had thought that turning the powerheads off/on daily wouldn't work because maybe not everyone would want to eat at the same time, especially the shy guy. But I'll certainly give it a try, maybe he will be easy to train.