Catching up...

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Dave Guest

Catching up...

Post by Dave Guest » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:32 pm

It's been awhile since I was last here, like over 10 years I reckon :)

Anything exciting happened in the world of loaches in that time?? I've had a very quick browse and seen the reports of sid breeding - absolutely fantastic news!! Gives me hope that one day I'll have sids again and that the pitter-patter of tiny sid fins might be heard.

So anyhow, I just got me a new Fluval Roma 200, had to get rid of the old tanks when kids came along but now they're older I've been allowed an aquarium again lol. Any new species been discovered and made their way into the hobby that I could look out for? Preferably something that can live alongside sids as I'll definitely be getting a group of them again.

NancyD

Re: Catching up...

Post by NancyD » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:05 pm

Welcome back to the world of loaches. New in loaches you ask? Sids alone have had 2 genus changes from botia to yasuhikatakia to something that starts with "a" I haven't learned yet. Have you seen botia kubotai? They're relatively new to the hobby, though I haven't kept them yet, but would work with sids even at 4-5 inches SL . Rosy loaches are tiny cuties with still changing genus, LOL has them as tuberoschistura but that's never really been considered correct.

I'm new to hillstreams but sewellia lineolata were the "dream fish" not too long ago. Now they are regularly bred in home aquaria, yeah! There are sometimes Chinese loaches available, mostly big cold water species. "Crimson" schistura were available but I haven't seen them lately, a pretty, more peaceful schistura.

A lot of the old timers don't post here anymore but Jim Powers does.

Dave Guest

Post by Dave Guest » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

thanks Nancy. Kubotai were just starting to show up when I last had aquaria and I was lucky enough to have a couple of them briefly before I dismantled my last tank and had to give them away.

Did a tour of a few shops at the weekend and saw plenty of Striatas and yoyos, a few kubotai and a couple of places had sids at wildly differing prices - £5.99 in one store, £13.99 in another for 1" specimens - I think I paid about £3.50 for the last lot I had!

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:28 am

Dave Guest wrote:thanks Nancy. Kubotai were just starting to show up when I last had aquaria and I was lucky enough to have a couple of them briefly before I dismantled my last tank and had to give them away.

Did a tour of a few shops at the weekend and saw plenty of Striatas and yoyos, a few kubotai and a couple of places had sids at wildly differing prices - £5.99 in one store, £13.99 in another for 1" specimens - I think I paid about £3.50 for the last lot I had!

welcome back dave! i can't really tell ya whats new as i just started keeping hillstreams last year, and built them a proper sized tank a few weeks ago, but welcome none the less

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Guesty! Wow man!

First time I've been here in ages and who do I see? I gave up keeping fish over 2 years ago.

Hope you and your's are doing great. Fond memories of our day out in London with Steve Burton all those years ago.

I've been in Toronto for 12 years now!
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Dave Guest

Post by Dave Guest » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:24 pm

wow, 12 years, doesn't time fly?! How cone you've given up fishkeeping? I had you down as a lifer.

Remember the London trip well, great day out and even had some good banter on the train trip home with a couple of builders who found it highly amusing that I had a bag of fish tucked inside my coat :)

I'm easing myself back in gently with just 4 yoyos in my current tank but I'm making plans now for a 6 foot tank next summer. Just don't tell the wife :)