Hillstream / river tank (sewellia)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mwarsell

Hillstream / river tank (sewellia)

Post by mwarsell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:06 am

Hello,

New here. I have a lonely sewellia in my cichlid tank, but I'd like to give him a new home (and some mates). I'm about to get hold of a 52 gal tank. I read about a manifold river design, but it looks quite complicated. What about Koralia powerheads? How many and of which size would you put into a 52 gal to simulate a fast-flowing Asian sewellia river?

Lupine

Re: Hillstream / river tank (sewellia)

Post by Lupine » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 am

Sewellia do well in less flow than most other hillstreams. Koralia powerheads are very powerful, so it depends on which model you use in what size tank whether it would be too much or not- the Evolution line are smaller and more energy efficient and I think 1-2 of them would be great. I put a Koralia Magnum in the top level of my 250 gal SW tank and it blew the 8" DSB (Deep Sand Bed) all the way to the opposite end of the tank! I like Koralia (and Ecotech's VorTech) but I think powerheads of pretty much any type are going to be sufficient for the Sewellia, as long as they have a sponge prefilter.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't have a manifold system in my 4ft sewellia tank, I use 2 Aqua Clear 70 HOBs & a Maxijet 1200 powerhead.

mwarsell

Post by mwarsell » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 am

I will have a 50 gallon sewellia tank with Koralia evolution 2800, a small eheim powerhead and the filter.

Together the water turnover is at 4000l/h. Round gravel substrate so it doesn't get blown away. No plants.

I thought sewellia liked the highest flow. Are there loaches that like even higher flow?

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:51 am

Sewellias like high flow but it is not necessary for their well being. Moderate flow or high flow over some areas of the tank will do. They will sometimes seek out low flow areas and having such areas makes feeding easier as the food will not get swept away.

mwarsell

Post by mwarsell » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:22 pm

I would've loved to post a photo of my new tank, bjt how do I attach a photo in here?

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

upload it to something like photobucket, or a similar program. then copy and paste the image code here.