hillstream setup

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

statichead

hillstream setup

Post by statichead » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Been doing aquariums for a lot of years with a big hiatus in between. Had kids and decided to get back into it again. I got really interested in bio-filtration and plant based filtration. I saw some of the manifold tanks out there and thought that was a cool thing.

Here is my river set up, I think I have mostly gastromyzon scitulus at this point, two stripeity guys were hanging with the spotted dudes so I picked them up as well. I should have 7 total although one of the stripes seems to be missing, think these guys are Gastromyzon ocellatus. It took them a while to start coming out of the caves, I have yet to see all 7 at once. Also most of my group are juveniles, not a lot of color in the tails at this point, the bigger guys have the blue tail of scitulus.

setup is 2 20gal longs, the top tank has an overflow and I'm using a marineland 400 to pump water to the top tank, there is an additional marineland 600 in prop mode in the rocks.

I want to stock the top tank with barbs, maybe Puntius padamya, and some Homaloptera Confuzona, also looking for a school of danio tinwini for the bottom tank.

any help with stocking sources would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Powers

Re: hillstream setup

Post by Jim Powers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 am

Confusona can be difficult to find, so good luck. As for sources, it would help to know where you are located. I'm assuming the US.
If so, Frank's Aquarium often has hillstreams as well as other fish.
http://www.franksaquarium.com/
The Wet Spot in Portland, Oregon also ships fish.
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/index.php/fish
Aquabid can be another source.