Botia striatas in 126L tank? What fishes for community?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

pel

Botia striatas in 126L tank? What fishes for community?

Post by pel » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:45 pm

Hello Loachers!

my first posting in this community which I always admired for their nice river-tank-setups!

Due to a donation of a fishtank to my daughters kindergarden I have a 126L tank and lots of fishes for which I need to find a bigger and more appropriate tank. Among the fishes donated is a pair of botia striata. I was pondering if i could give them a proper home in the 126L tank. This is exactly why I registered here to profit from your experience and to give the botia striatas what they need.

So what do you say: Is a 126L tank sufficient for botia striata and if so how many would you keep and what would be good company fishes? I was considering Aplocheilus lineatus as they share the same biotope.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Philip

pel

Re: Botia striatas in 126L tank? What fishes for community?

Post by pel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Is there anyone that keeps botia striata in a similiar tank size and can write a few words about his/her experience in keeping them?

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 pm

126l is a bit small, but can probably be made to work for the striatas as they only reach about 10cm in length. This is assuming that the tank is a long, low one rather than a tall, narrow one. Length and surface area are more important than overall volume when keeping loaches.

Zebras, like most other loach species, prefer to be kept in groups of 3 or more. However, given the small size of the tank, you'll want to be very careful not to overstock. Keep a close eye on water quality.

I have no experience with Aplocheilus lineatus, so I can't make a recommendation either way there. However, the striata is a peaceful fish that should do well with neighbors of similar temperament (peaceful).

pel

Post by pel » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply! It is a 80x35x45cm tank. Previously thought of keeping them in a group of 5-7 fishes with no other fishes that disturb them. The Aplocheilus lineatus would have been a good choice in that direction cause it would leave the botias alone and only occupy the upper tank level.

Though i'm having serious second thoughts about this tank size and I think i will have to let go of the idea of keeping botia striatas.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:27 pm

If you really wish to keep loaches but are limited to your current tank, take a look at dwarf chain loaches (yasuhikotakia-sidthimunki):

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ya ... idthimunki

pel

Post by pel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Thanks for the reply. I would have sticked with loaches if they could have been kept in the tank available to them atm but considering the fact that it is going to be a kindergarden fishtank I am thinking to get fishes that aren't too picky when it comes to waterquality or food.

DainBramage1991

Post by DainBramage1991 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Good point, I had forgotten that the tank was going to be around young children. With that in mind, small but hearty fish such as danios, tetras, livebearers, and corydoras catfish might be good choices.

Good luck, I hope this works out well. Who knows, maybe you'll help influence another generation of fishkeepers. :)