Moving mishap left solo Yoyo Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

GeoGreg

Moving mishap left solo Yoyo Loach

Post by GeoGreg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:04 pm

I've been a casual fishkeeper for over 10 years, but I do try to follow the principle of "first do no harm". I have a 20H tank in which, since 2002, there has resided a Yoyo (or Pakistani) Loach (I bought 2 loaches, but one jumped the tank within the first few weeks). Old age, disease, or the occasional mishap have meant that the loach has lived with various other fish during this time. Recently, I've kept tiger barbs in the tank. The loach and the barbs have seemed to swim together with occasional chasing but no violence that I ever saw.

Last week, I moved less than a mile away. It was the first move since I set up the tank in 2000. I thought I had taken adequate measures to provide temporary quarters for the loach and the 4 tiger barbs that were in the tank. I put the 5 fish in a 5 gallon bucket with tank water and a plastic plant that had been in the tank. I had an air-powered sponge filter of more than adequate nominal capacity that I had in the main tank for about a week prior in order to populate it (I hoped) with nitrifying bacteria. I also had a heater of adequate size. I had to move the fish in cold weather, but they were covered and in the car for about 10 minutes in the bucket before going back into a heated space where I could put in the heater and filter. I came back about 30 hours later, and the 4 barbs were dead, but the loach was seemingly as healthy as ever. The water temp seemed fine (within 1 or 2 degF of their normal tank temp). By the time the barbs died, the water was laden with ammonia, so I don't know if the biological filter wasn't functioning, or whether the decomposing barbs had caused the spike. I had taken the precaution of not feeding them for 2 days prior to moving them, so I was hoping they wouldn't be dumping much ammonia into the water. So, I'm frustrated that the barbs died for reasons not immediately apparent (aren't fish typically transported for a day or 2 in similar stock ratios?). While I don't plan to move again soon, any ideas on why this happened would be appreciated. My top theories are just general stress or elevated ammonia/nitrites that (for some reason) the barbs were more sensitive to than the loach.

Anyway, I'm now left with my 11-12 year old Botia almorhae alone in the tank. It's swimming around among the fake plants, sometimes resting on a leaf, so it's not just hiding in its cave all the time. After 5 days, ammonia levels in the tank are 0, so filtration seems good (the HOB filter stayed wet during the move). Since acquiring it years ago, I have learned that Yoyos like to school in groups of 3 or more, but I'm not sure that my 20H tank (with its 24"x12" bottom) is roomy enough to support that many Yoyos peaceably. I also don't know how much longer this individual has to live. It has survived to this point, but I'm assuming it's not immortal.

Maybe this loach is just very hardy, and I'm not a first-class aquariast, but it seems to me like tiger barbs are prone to getting sick and dying en masse, even if water quality is not showing obvious problems. If I don't get more Yoyos, I'm wondering what other tankmates would work. Smaller loaches? Other fish that the loach will be willing to shoal with? Any ideas would be welcome.

GeoGreg

Re: Moving mishap left solo Yoyo Loach

Post by GeoGreg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Just realized that the last time I asked the question was 7 years ago on this very forum! Back then, there was talk of striatas, but some thought they were too gentle.

Just FYI.

MandaMunky

Post by MandaMunky » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:13 pm

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... sh#p194371

Hi there,

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your Barbs :(

Second, while researching on the forum for how to safely upgrade my tank I came across the artile above. It says that loaches can emit a toxic chemical when stressed. Maybe that's what happened?

Good luck finding some more tank mates. I personally really love tetras. They're prettyclean, hardy & seem to hold their own quite well with my loaches.

GeoGreg

Post by GeoGreg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:25 am

MandaMunky wrote:http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... sh#p194371

Hi there,

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your Barbs :(

Second, while researching on the forum for how to safely upgrade my tank I came across the artile above. It says that loaches can emit a toxic chemical when stressed. Maybe that's what happened?

Good luck finding some more tank mates. I personally really love tetras. They're prettyclean, hardy & seem to hold their own quite well with my loaches.
Interesting. I'll have to check out that link. I appreciate the information.