Hillstream Riparium

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

sdrober1

Hillstream Riparium

Post by sdrober1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:38 am

While researching loaches, I discovered the amazing hillstream loaches. I've decided that I have to have a tank for them. My next tank was going to be an open-top riparium that doubled as a coffee table. It will be the center piece for my living room. Here are the current designs:

The current will run from the far side of the tank to the near on both sides of the planter, with a small waterfall from the top tier as well.

It's only in rough design stage now. Dimensions will be 4 feet long, by 2 feet wide. The water will be about 12 inches deep, so say about 60 gallons. I'm trying to focus on Vietnamese life in the tank. I want to find plants from the region that represent submerged, emergent, and terrestrial varieties that are vibrant enough to use as a centerpiece. I'd also like to have more fish than just the loaches, as they leave most of the water column empty. Does anyone have suggestions for any of this?

The Skinny Chef

Re: Hillstream Riparium

Post by The Skinny Chef » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:35 am

White cloud mountain minnows, nearly a perfect match for you. they like colder, fast moving water. i also keep bamboo shrimp in the tank, sicne they enjoy flow themselves. however i think the joy of hillstreams will be lost in a coffee table. hillstreams hang out on the bottom of the tank, and don't really ever leave the bottom. in a coffee table i fear they will be lost at your feet.

also i know you mentioned it being open top. i don't know how good of an idea that would be, hillstreams, ime tend to be more sensitive to water parameter changes. with an open top on a coffee table you will have to be very very careful when cleaning to ensure you don't cleaners in the tank that kills bacteria and causes a mini cycle.

this a really cool idea that i would love to see as an island in a home, where i could see and enjoy the active lifestyle of happy and healthy hillstreams.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:05 am

I would agree that while this is a very interesting idea, hillstreams might get lost in the tank. Although you might be able to get a view of them from above, I think they would be very nervous in a situation like that, just as they would in a stream with herons or other predators looking down on them. Also, any dither fish in the tank would not be that visible from overhead and would be probably be nervous as well. If its an open tank without a lip on the sides, hillstream might end up on the floor. If put in a tank without a lip around the edge, they will sometimes shoot straight up the side and out of the tank. I think this would make a great tank, though, just not a coffee table.

mattyd

Post by mattyd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:01 am

Personally, I really like the idea.

But with a coffee table/tank you need to decide if you want it to be mostly a table, or mostly a tank.

How are you going to light the tank up to encourage the plants and algae to grow in the tank?
How are you going to get electricity to the tank?
If table: are you going to put a glass top on it?
If tank, why not lift it up higher so you can observe your fish better?

Don't worry too much about skittish fish. They'll get used to it over time. I have a 5ft tank on a cabinet between my kitchen and loungeroom. I walk past it frequently and my fish now understand that it is safe to be out when there is movement. Mind you, I have over 100 sewellia in the tank, and 20+ large rocks for them to hide amongst, so they obviously feel more comfortable in numbers.
5ft long rocky hillstream tank - Sewellia lineolata and spotted... and lots (and lots) of spotted fry
8ft Clown loach tank: 30+ clown loaches, 10+ Yoyos.
6ft tank for 16x botia kubotai, 13x Striata, 6x Sidthimunki - I need more sids

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 pm

mattyd wrote:
Don't worry too much about skittish fish. They'll get used to it over time. I have a 5ft tank on a cabinet between my kitchen and loungeroom. I walk past it frequently and my fish now understand that it is safe to be out when there is movement. Mind you, I have over 100 sewellia in the tank, and 20+ large rocks for them to hide amongst, so they obviously feel more comfortable in numbers.
just walking past a tank, and having a tank in a location where glass can be kicked, or bumped, and with every footstep, or item being set on the table a vibration will be sent across the tank, are two very different things.

fish can get used to having people walk past their habit, but constantly being startled is a whole other issue that risks the health, happiness, and safety of the fish.

sdrober1

Post by sdrober1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:35 am

Here's an updated design. I understand what you're saying about spooking the fish, but you don't think that with the water moving so quickly that the vibration would be enough to stress the fish?

I was going to light it from above, either by hanging a light from the ceiling, or integrating some sort of power pole/light fixture combo. Power would be run to the wall through a floor strip, or hardwired in location. Lots of possibilities here.

Are any of the freshwater gobies or other loaches good companions for hillstreams? And if I decide to branch out from the focus on Vietnam, are Scissortail Rasboras a good match? I've also seen Pearl Danios and Ticto Barbs recommended.

I've shown the tank with a screen rim to keep from mishaps.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:57 am

sdrober1 wrote:Image

Here's an updated design. I understand what you're saying about spooking the fish, but you don't think that with the water moving so quickly that the vibration would be enough to stress the fish?

I was going to light it from above, either by hanging a light from the ceiling, or integrating some sort of power pole/light fixture combo. Power would be run to the wall through a floor strip, or hardwired in location. Lots of possibilities here.

Are any of the freshwater gobies or other loaches good companions for hillstreams? And if I decide to branch out from the focus on Vietnam, are Scissortail Rasboras a good match? I've also seen Pearl Danios and Ticto Barbs recommended.

I've shown the tank with a screen rim to keep from mishaps.

no, i don't the speed of the water has no effect on the vibration, water doesn't really deflect vibration. hard objects like rocks, or walls deflect vibration.

i don't see any issues with the change. it corrects the issues brought up with the first design, i really only have one question, you have that cool little step down thing in the middle, which i'm not really sure what the plan is for, and i'm wondering how much space you will have between the middle thing and the glass. i have noticed with my hillstreams that they not only like moving up and down on the flow but also diagonally and side to side.

sdrober1

Post by sdrober1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm

I was thinking of moving the planting area/rock tower over to a corner. I think that will open up enough space.