Tankmates for Weather Loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Little Bit

Tankmates for Weather Loaches

Post by Little Bit » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:30 am

So I got a beautiful 36 Gallon tank for my Loaches for Christmas. I've been letting one lone weather loach Potter, grow up in my 10 gal since he was about the size of my kuhlis. He has since outgrown it, and will be moved to my 36 gallon as soon as it is finished cycling. I want to get another weather loach to put in with him as a companion, since I know he'll miss the kuhlis, I often find him cuddling with them. But I also wanted to put some midtank fish in there to add more variety. The only issue is weather loaches are coldwater, what coldwater fish, and plants, would be a good match for Potter and his new friend?

jonstfrancis

Re: Tankmates for Weather Loaches

Post by jonstfrancis » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:59 pm

They are sociable fish so another of his species would be appreciated.

I've kept them with white cloud mountain minnows, zebra and leopard spot danios. And now with Alabama rainbow shiners (Don't put shiners with smaller minnows though).

Java ferns and Anubias plants are great because they can be tied to stones or wood and so the weather fish won't dig them up. They also grow happily in colder tanks. Floating plants are fine too as long as you find ones that don't need a heated tank.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm

White Cloud minnows or Rosy Minnows (fatheads), glofish danios and zebra or leopard spot danios, all can thrive in cooler water, as can rosy barbs. The rosy barbs in my tank don't seem to bother the dojos. They are small- to medium in size. I have three dojos in my 65. At one time, I had comet and shubunkin goldfish in there, but have since rehomed them. They really didn't bother the dojos, either.

Good plants are java ferns and anubias, and floaters like hornwort, elodea (anacharis), water wisteria can also be a floater. Duckweek and water lettuce float, but duckweed does better in calm waters than flowing currents.

Dojos are sociable and love the company of other dojos. In a 36, I would have no more than two. Keep their water very clean and feed them a variety of high quality fish foods. They aren't finicky, and I give mine veggie rounds, Sera O'Nips, New Life Spectrum foods, a variety of flakes, freeze-dried daphnia, etc. A combination of foods that sink and float will benefit all the inhabitants of a community tank.

Some dojos will eat snails that ride in on live plants.

Have fun with your new set-up. The increased space is a great Christmas present for your weather loach as well as for you.

Little Bit

Post by Little Bit » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:56 pm

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate it. :) I can't wait to pick my plants, and set up my new tank in a week or so. :)

jonstfrancis

Post by jonstfrancis » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:02 am

[quote= At one time, I had comet and shubunkin goldfish in there, but have since rehomed them. They really didn't bother the dojos, either.[/quote]

I had to move my weather fish from my old goldfish tank after they started biting the beautiful long tail of my comet.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:03 am

How long has your new tank been cycling? If you just got it, it may be well over a week before it's ready to set up. Cycling usually takes anywhere from four to eight weeks. Do you have a test kit?

Little Bit

Post by Little Bit » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:44 pm

I have a test kit and an cycling the tank as we speak. I have done a fish in cycle with a small school of zebra danios that I plan to keep in the tank. I have also added a lot of media from my established 10 gal to help move things along, including the old filter media. I plan on letting it cycle for the next almost two weeks before add my loaches, as I know how sensitive they are. I know a fish-in cycle is rough on the fish, but I've found if I monitor it closely enough, I wont have an issue. I've never lost anyone before to fish-in cycling *knock on wood* because I'm pretty neurotic about it. :D The danios are bright and happy, and enjoying the vast expanses of their new home. If it's not ready for loaches by the time I leave for school, I will come home one weekend and bring Potter with me, but I'd rather get him settled before I leave. It's only a 30 min drive so no biggie.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:37 am

Aquarium fish all over the world would fare much better if everyone were as "neurotic" about monitoring fish-in cycling as you are. Too many beginners don't understand or don't care enough to keep tabs on their water chemistry during this dicey period. You are obviously much more experienced. Kudos!

Your little loach will be a happy camper. It will be like moving from a backyard swimming pool into a freshwater ocean. I know that my little dojos really enjoyed going from my 20-gallon-high into my 65. Today, I only keep White Cloud Minnows in my 20, along with red cherry shrimp and the myriad snails that come in with my plants.

By the way, do you plan on keeping any snails that hitch-hike? Some aquarists can't stand having snails in their tanks, but I have always considered snails a natural part of any aquatic environment, and it actually seems UNnatural without them. So, I keep my snails. They help keep the glass clean, among other benefits (including providing the occasional snack for my dojos).

Here's to little Potter!

-- Dojosmama

Little Bit

Post by Little Bit » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Thank you for all the compliments! :) I plan on keeping the snails if they hitchhiked in, I have a snail named Banjo in my 10 gal, and I enjoy his antics quite a bit, so snails are welcome. :)

I accidentally autocycled my 36 gal! Which really excites me. All the parameters are perfect. I'm stilling waiting a week or so to add Potter, and his new friend, who is currently in QT just to be safe. I feel so weird getting this excited over my fish. ;) I'll post pictures once I get Potter and his new friend settled in next week, barring anything weird with the water chemistry.

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Have you arrived at a name for Potter's companion? Perhaps we can have a friendly competition wherein we all suggest names, and you can pick the best one. Just for fun ...

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:51 pm

A word of caution about Anubias and Java Ferns. They have rhizomes that should never be buried in the substrate, as that would rot them. They can be tied with invisible fishing line to rocks, wood or other ornaments, or their roots can be buried as long as the rhizomes are on or above the substrate.

I took the base from a fake aquarium plant, which had a lot of holes in it, and channeled the roots of one of my Anubias through those holes and into the subsrate, while the rhizome rests on top of the weighted base, which is on the substrate surface. That way, I was able to anchor the plant securely without having to use fishing line or twine, and the weight of the former silk plant base holds the plant down. I did this several months ago, and now the roots of the Anubias have spread themselves out under the gravel, and the plant is thriving. Just an idea that might work for you, as well.

These are low- to mid-light plants which require little fertilization. They are easy to keep and usually do very well.

-- Dojosmama

Little Bit

Post by Little Bit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11 pm

Quick little update on my kiddos, everyone is in the 36 gal and doing well, Potter has turned out to be a Mrs. Pots, oops lol. I have named her new friend Zodiac, I made sure he was a he before naming. Mrs. Pots has really come alive in the new tank, before she was always afraid of me, and I think a bit stressed, now she and Zodiac won't let me even test the water without begging to be pet, give kisses or even get treats. I think they're a little spoiled. :wink: I'm sad to be leaving them on Friday, but I'll be back on the weekends and things to care for them, and my sis has agreed to feed while I'm gone.

Thank you for all the plant advice! I actually rubber banded it to a log in the tank, and so far I haven't killed it so fingers crossed!

Now for the pictures!

The tank.

Mrs. Pots (She's become a lot darker since this was taken as her stress has gone down.)

Zodiac

I love my new tank! Thank you guys so much for everything! :D

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:53 pm

Looks like Zodiac is a golden dojo.

Yes, they are spoiled, and it's hard not to spoil them. They're so cute!

The rubber band might do okay for awhile, but will eventually rot away, and you'll need to tie the plant with fishing line, which will last permanently. Also, I am wondering if the material a rubber band is made from is safe in aquariums? One just never knows these days what goes into some of these products.

Fishing line has the added advantage of being invisible.

Your little dojos are going to really enjoy themselves. Have they buried themselves in the new substrate, yet?

Please keep us posted. Love the pics!

-- Dojosmama