Loach-durable plants for Asian hillstream biotope?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

ankelikuu

Loach-durable plants for Asian hillstream biotope?

Post by ankelikuu » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 am

I'm right now planning the plants of my 63 gal / 240 litres tank. There will be B. histrionicas and pearl danios (Danio albolineatus), perhaps sewellias and C. siamensis, too. The plants should be of Asian biotope. I am wondering, which plants are strong enough to withstand both loaches and the stream? Vallisneria, Java fern, Java moss, Hygrophila polysperma and some species of Cryptocoryne, would they be ok? I'd also like to have some shallow, grass-like plant, what could it be?

We've yesterday mounted and tested the river manifold system. Unfortunately there was only one suitable Tunze powerhead (2400 litres/h) available in this small country last week, so the other one must be orderded lately. :/ There is a place for it but it's plugged now.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... if_t=like"

Jim Powers

Re: Loach-durable plants for Asian hillstream biotope?

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:33 pm

I would recommend java fern. It is tough and not bothered by strong current. Also, a bed of val looks nice waving in the strong current.

The Skinny Chef

Re: Loach-durable plants for Asian hillstream biotope?

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14 pm

mosses don't hold up very well in high flow areas. any crypt will do well, and anubias will also do well. if you can keep it down i have bacopa in mine aswell....not sure if those really fit the asian theme but yeah.