Loch Ness Loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

KahuNZ

Loch Ness Loach?

Post by KahuNZ » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi guys - first time poster, and hoping you can help me solve a mystery...

I've got a 450L tropical freshwater tank that has been setup for about a year, with a wide variety of species (including about 25+ Cory cats, which have been breeding like rabbits).

Late last night (like 2am), after the lights had been off for hours and I was sitting in the almost-dark room working on my computer, I spotted a very weird eel-like fish swimming near the glass. I'd never seen anything like it in the tank before, and just managed to get a couple of seconds of video on my cellphone before it disappeared again. Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOCXxr9NPI

With a bit of Google-sleuthing, I think I've ID'd it as a Java Kuhli Loach (http://www.animal-world.com/encyclo/fre ... aLoach.php)

- What do you guys think? Is it a Java Loach?
- And how the heck did it get in there? Like I said, the tank has been setup and going for a year, I've never see it before, and I've never purchased any Java Loaches - the closest is two Zebra Loaches (which are both alive and well)
- The only thing I can think of is that the tank's previous owner may have had them, and it somehow survived the draining, 2 hours out of the water in the moist bag I used to bring over the one decent sized Java Fern I kept from the past setup, 3 days in a bucket with the Java Fern while I setup the tank, and has been hiding in there somewhere for the last year... Are they egg bearing? Could it have survived as an egg?
- Where do these loaches typically hide? I've got a huge range of potential spots, including a large pile of smooth flat river stones. Other than that - there are lots of plants, logs and large rocks.

Thanks!

bookpage

Re: Loch Ness Loach?

Post by bookpage » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:04 pm

This maybe what you have: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pangio-oblonga

It could have survived in the Java plants.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm

D'awwww. It's a black kuhli loach! He's harmless and you'll love him to death once you lean more about him. He's going to need friends, though!They live happily in groups of six or more and they're relatively cheap to buy. These guys hide in everything. They love to dig in substrate and especially love to wiggle in between the roots of plants. These guys are egg bearers, but they aren't easily bread in captivity. I have 11 and not a single baby in all of ever. I'll never be a grand-parent at this rate. If you plan on keeping this little fella, and you should, make sure he has places he can easily fit into. They have a nasty habit of crushing themselves and causing some severe neural damage/spinal damage. This is usually not noticed until they start to flail about in almost seizure-like behavior. But not to worry, your guy seems bright and healthy. If you're willing to change any parts of the aquarium, these guys love to play in the sand! They dig a burrow and it makes them feel the most comfortable. They don't have scales, so be careful with sharp rocks and certain medicines too. You don't even have to worry about eating habits. They feed mostly from the bottom like corys and mine eat mostly flakes and algae wafers. The more hiding places you have, the more you'll see him, they wiggle out of hiding places at dinner time since they can taste most food once it hits the water. Enjoy your newly found friend, you're going to love him!

OH! And they can tell you when the weather is about to get ugly! They swim in groups in large circles up and down the tank when atmospheric conditions rapidly change. It's what I call "The loachy dance"
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

Louie

Post by Louie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Oh that was a neat video. glad it survived.

MandaMunky

Post by MandaMunky » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Welcome to the forums! Also, wonderful post & what a neat & exciting experience to see a mystery fish!

I agree that he must have survived in the moist bag... I've read several stories about how some will jump from the tank, appear dead, but that you should always throw them back in the tank because they might still have a chance to make it!

I hope you're going to covert into a loachaholic like many of us are!?