spawing clown loaches in USA

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bookpage

spawing clown loaches in USA

Post by bookpage » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm

Just found a place in the US that is breading and raising clown loaches.

http://www.bioaquatix.com/blog.py

Scroll down until you see Tank born Clown Loach fry.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

redshark1

Re: spawing clown loaches in USA

Post by redshark1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Very interesting. It would be great if they have been successful without hormones. Perhaps we can find out.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:06 pm

cool. thanks for the link!

I'm going to need to figure out how to get mine to release their eggs. One of my large female Clown Loaches, Gracie, recently went dormant for about 3 months without eating. I think her eggs got impacted and during that time she must have reabsorbed her eggs, which is why she didn't eat. Her belly bulge has went down, and for a few weeks now, she's been very active and eating like a pig again. In the future, I'll need to do something to get her to release the eggs, so this doesn't happen again. I might try building a special breeding tank this summer just for this.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:21 pm

chefkeith, do you think that Bioaquatix would give you some ideas of how to do that?
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:42 pm

They gave some hints in their faq page:
Why only tank-raised fish?
We enjoy the research aspect in discovering and controlling all the variables which recreates the natural habitat of our fish and triggers the natural breeding cycle. Controlling these variables is much easier in a tank environment than in an open pond.

We do not engage in genetic manipulation or any other advanced techniques. We use very simple methods that have been around the aquarium trade for decades.

Our strength is to figure out the "formula" or "process" which makes the fish breed, and by this we mean finding the right temperature, pH, salinity, level of light, types of food, etc. We have nothing against farmed-raised or wild-caught fish when done properly.
How do you raise your fish?
We take care of the entire process ourselves. We are not in the business of buying and reselling fish. We control every aspect of the breeding, spawning, and growth. This guarantees you know exactly where the fish are from and how they were raised. We aspire to provide you the highest quality of fish: strong, vigorous and colorful. We are careful in selecting our breeders and always try to minimize inbreeding.

We use all natural food for our fish. We do not use chemicals or hormones to enhance color. All our fish are spawned using proprietary techniques we have developed over the years.

We normally can provide fish that are very young, from a few months to one year old. Our unique position of breeding and growing the fish ensure you know you are receiving young and healthy fish.
So I'm thinking of power feeding her some natural foods like fish/clams/snails/bloodworms, dropping the water temperature a few degrees per day, until It's down to about 76F. I don't really want to breed/raise clown loach fry, just want to avoid egg impaction/reabsorbtion. If that doesn't work, I may have to change the water chemistry also, but hoping just cooling the water and fattening her up will help her release the eggs.

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:59 pm

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out.