hillstream loach setup

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

loachman420

hillstream loach setup

Post by loachman420 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Here's my hillstream Loach tank and it's specs. Was hoping to hear from some people here
15 gallon standard
2x powerheads(250gph and 500gph) both facing same way
20-30g filter opposite end of powerheads with spraybar creating surface aggitation.
4in diameter air pad in middle of tank(both powerheads and filter flow through it.
Ultra sun super daylight bulb for alga

Will try to get pics up but let me know what you think, thank you

The Skinny Chef

Re: hillstream loach setup

Post by The Skinny Chef » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:43 pm

why are you putting the pad in the center? seems like it would just water all of that water agitation. also what are you looking at for your substrate?

personally i don't think a 15 is large enough. i would recommend a 20l or bigger tank. remember this fish come from a river that is shallow and long. a 15g tank is not very long or deep, and will only happily house a few hillstreams before it becomes overstocked.

another thing to consider is that a lager tank will be less affected but tempurature fluctuations in your house.

jlorenzo

Post by jlorenzo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:47 am

the more oxygen the better. Make sure the water is clean with regular water changes and supplement diet with algae discs.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:33 am

"Hillstream loach" is a very general term. Could be any number of fish. Which sp. are you planning to get? It sounds like you're going way overboard on water movement.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:45 pm

no such thing as over board, i run 1,200gph he is going to be running around 900.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 pm

The Skinny Chef wrote:no such thing as over board, i run 1,200gph he is going to be running around 900.
In a 15 gallon tank? That's just ridiculous. I had an AC 70, 400gph, in a 20 long and it was too much.

jlorenzo

Post by jlorenzo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:59 am

If it is just hillstreams or similar fish, they really like super high current. I think it would be fine.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:37 pm

One thing you need to consider with that much flow is where will the food settle and will the fish be able to even find it in torrent conditions. Yes, hillstreams live in streams with high flow, but after keeping and breeding them for over about 14 years now, I have noticed that they do like sheltered, lower flow areas in the tank. I really believe you would be better off with less flow. Also, remember that all the pumps will generate heat and the tank may end up being too warm.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:27 pm

haha yeah, to much, i wasn't paying enough attention to the numbers. a rena filstar xp-s would be more than enough, or any other canister filter for about 30-or 40gallon tanks.