Caves and Carrots (IMG Heavyish)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TrebleClef84

Caves and Carrots (IMG Heavyish)

Post by TrebleClef84 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm

So I wanted to post something happy since I'm going through this stressful de-worming process, which is almost done!

First of all, I boiled the heck out of a carrot, stabbed it with a fork several times, and sank it in my tank. This was the result:

Then I wanted to share with you some of my loaches' favorite caves. It seems so important to have a good cave system so everyone gets along. I tend to have dozens of tiny caves hanging around or incorporate large ones into my decor.

Everyone loves this one. Plastic log thing I got at Petsmart, and only about 4ish inches high. They dive in there and sleep vertically all day long. I've even seen the hillstreams in there from time to time.

I had some river gravel left over from years ago, so I bought some PVC pipes and aquarium silicone and made these. The kuhli loaches especially love them, but I've caught the smaller botias in a couple of times as well.
Edit: Found a Kuhli! Meet Medium Karl, of Karl Incorporated...I've noticed since I've put these caves in that I see much more of the kuhli loaches now.

Cichlid stones as corner builders...they love this little bridge/ cave thing I made them. The two stones at the bottom are medium cichlid stones, which I am using as a kind of wall to build up the gravel in the corner. I then took a flat piece of slate and suspended it between the two. The hillstreams are usually either on the gravel like you see here or sucked up to the underside of the slate, but sometimes they will go in the caves.

Driftwood. I just got the cholla piece. So far they like to swim through it, but they don't really hang out. I might tie some moss to it later. The larger piece is probably their favorite of the whole tank. The botias hang out underneath and in the holes, while the hillstreams suck up to the underside.

bookpage

Re: Caves and Carrots (IMG Heavyish)

Post by bookpage » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:02 pm

really nice(fish and tanks) and great pictures
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:35 pm

You succeeded with "something happy!" And gave me some ideas for DIY caves for my loaches. Thanks!

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

aussieJJDude

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:35 am

WOW, what lovely pictures and your tank! I NEED to steal it ASAP! :lol:
I so pretty!
Aussie Crabs - All About Aussies!

64g - 5 LHC
65g - 15 guppies, 3 angelfish, Trio BN, 3 Kuhlis, Clown Loach, Buenos Aires, Neon, Platy

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just hermit's that I forgot I had planned to get

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:20 pm

Very nice! I have tried a few fruits & several veggies but I don't think I ever tried carrot, good idea.