WTB Hillstreams

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The Skinny Chef

WTB Hillstreams

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sun May 25, 2014 7:55 pm

hey guys i'm looking for Hypergastromyzon Humilis, and Gastro Viriosus. if anyone runs across them for sale i would be very grateful if you could pass it a link along to me.

Thanks guys!

Jim Powers

Re: WTB Hillstreams

Post by Jim Powers » Tue May 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Good luck!!
I think the most likely way you will find them is by looking through shipments of gastros in stores. I have been looking for viriosis for a few years now. I had three, two of which died soon after I got them and have had one for about 4 or 5 years.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Wed May 28, 2014 7:14 pm

I would love to get more of both of these as well. Let me know if you find some and I'll do the same. I love all my gastros but these two are especially entertaining.
Thanks!
Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Gunpowder Aquatics has viriosus on their site right now. He also has the gastro grab bag up again. Viriosus are $12 each and the grab bag is $45 for "6 assorted Gastromyzon species from the South Kalimantan province." So do I go right for the v's or take my chances on the mix?

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:18 am

Richard now has h. Humilis listed as wells as g. Psiloetron. :shock:

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:07 am

i saw that! i picked up 9 humilis, and one viriosus. i lost one humilis in transit, but i'm super happpy! i noticed most all of the humilis i got in this shipment had orange in their tails! its pretty neat looking, but i'm wondering what is about this group that caused them to have orange in their tails....

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 am

Congratulations!! Try to get some pics of the fish, particularly the humilis. I would like to see the orange in the tails.

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:05 pm

the best i can get, the orange really doesn't show up well in photos, and they seem to be able to drop the color in the blink of an eye. i am uploading a video from my phone, but it takes a couple hours..... (after posting the color is almost non exsistent in these photos, hopefully the video will show more color after it gets uploaded)

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Have you noticed any variation in base color among your group? I have one that is distinctly brown and one that is distinctly red (well, a reddish brown).

The Skinny Chef

Post by The Skinny Chef » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:56 pm

not really in color, i have one that prefers to remain a light grey, and very little visable markings, but they are all grey. i do have one that is the size of a gastromyzon, and it is pretty crazy. again i can;t get a good photo of him by one of my viriosus for comparing, but he is in this video as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sEsb0Rs ... ture=share
its a little fuzzy on the tail at times, but you can see right off the bat the tail has color in it. However right after the camera refocuses the color is gone.

around the 1:15 mark the color flashes back in again.

the pair that the video finishes one, the humilis in the back is the large one, he hangs out on the rock almost all day with a viriosus which makes it hard to get a good photo.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:22 am

Nice. I will have to check mine for the color in the tail. I haven't noticed it before but they seem to hide more these days. The gray color turned into a reddish brown in mine after having them for a bit.