Loaches easily spooked? Remedy suggested here.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

redshark1

Loaches easily spooked? Remedy suggested here.

Post by redshark1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 am

:evil: Family members coming through this doorway were spooking my Clown Loaches and they were zipping away, kicking up the gravel as they went.

It was stressing me as well as my loaches :roll: Some people (teenagers) seem to need to run everywhere and make us all jump :) .

:idea: Then I had this idea. Blank out the side glass. Yes, I know it's a simple one and I don't expect the Nobel Prize but a simple "nice job there!" would give me a good feeling LOL :)

BTW I've tested this for two months now and it represents a significant improvement - amazing how I've had these loaches for 20 years now and i'm still coming up with ideas to improve their quality of life!
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Re: Loaches easily spooked? Remedy suggested here.

Post by Loachloach » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:20 am

Well done shark.

Teenagers running is a no no with clown loaches . It should be included in their profile here :lol:
The odd thing with mine is they never hide from my dog. My dog is small but quite hyper still and has the habit of running around inside the house, jumping up and down the sofa next to the fish tank. The clowns totally ignore it. Even when my dog sticks her nose right onto the glass and starts licking it the clowns would be literally still dancing on top of her head if it weren't for the glass. But if I a put my head next to the glass(haven't tried licking it yet :lol: ), they'd at least swim away to the other side.
Last edited by Loachloach on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 am

Good job, I would of never thought of that! :) Maybe I should do it on my tank and see if a can see a difference!

(Do you have angelfish with your clown loaches?)
Aussie Crabs - All About Aussies!

64g - 5 LHC
65g - 15 guppies, 3 angelfish, Trio BN, 3 Kuhlis, Clown Loach, Buenos Aires, Neon, Platy

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just hermit's that I forgot I had planned to get

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks mates!

My Clown Loaches are also spooked by my cat when she jumps up onto the warm hood of the aquarium. They are tolerant of her looking in, however.

Well spotted, I do have an Angelfish and she lives with my Clown Loaches in their hideout and comes out with them in the evening to feed. She was moved from her aquarium because the Kissing Gourami was annoying the Clown Loaches so I swapped them over and its worked out well.

Here's a couple of pics of Anthia 9" tonight. I shouldn't have taken these shots with my phone as there was a lot of sunlight coming into the room, but hey!

6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:07 pm

Beautiful girl!!

I have the feeling I have 5 males and 1 female because just one of them is growing in girth quite more noticeably than the others, similar to Anthia but she's smaller, maybe passing 5" now, where the presumed males are elongated kind of shape including the biggest one who's anything between 6" and 7".

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 am

I'm a bit surprized about the amazement of this solution. All my tanks have painted back windows and side windows. This is much easier then covering the whole back with some cnstruction which replaces lost of water

Because the more shelter fish have, the less scared they are.

aussieJJDude

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:33 am

Anthia is a gorgeous fish, you must be very proud to own and keep a beautiful specimen!
I thought I saw an angelfish, glad to know that I wasn't seeing things.
Aussie Crabs - All About Aussies!

64g - 5 LHC
65g - 15 guppies, 3 angelfish, Trio BN, 3 Kuhlis, Clown Loach, Buenos Aires, Neon, Platy

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just hermit's that I forgot I had planned to get