Sewellia and Artemia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Sewellia and Artemia

Post by mikev » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:17 pm

Youtube link.

This requires extensive training, most hillies do not initially understand how to do this... but once they figure out, they really like it and growth accelerates just like it would with "normal" young fish.

(I think I showed this to Jim already ... part II is a bit later, it shows how feeding artemia can bring out the worst personality traits. :P )

mikev

Re: Sewellia and Artemia

Post by mikev » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:33 am

Part 2

At 0:17 you can see how greed turns a fish from a law-abiding citizen into a thug.
(I only caught one attack on video, but it has done this repeatedly.)
Last edited by mikev on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Gluttony will do that! :lol:

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:14 pm

LMAO -- yes!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Predictions of loach behavior is not a precise science, but what happened next was not at all what I expected.

It really looked like the tank is about to suffer a Sewellia dictatorship.... instead the baby overreached and got burned ... :D

Within three days the other fish began copying its behavior... 1stly, erromyzons started making passes on each other too .. 2ndly, they got much more interested in the front glass (an area must be worth something if another fish defends it?)... finally, they started ignoringus the Sewellia (the attack on the clip was psychological, not physical).

So as of now: Kalotaenias eat artemia and much more enthusiastically than before... Sewellia would not come to the front glass anymore (it is fine otherwise)... and all fighting is over. I assume the Sewellia got a beating...but did not actually see it. :D

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:39 am

Darn :(

I thought the Sewellia baby was an Elongata since it grew and changed pattern differently from the species I previously bred.

No such luck.... it is a Spotty .... simply feeding it artemia skewed everything, it grew 2x faster than normally and the pattern did not catch up. Now that it is effectively an adult, the pattern caught up.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Too bad it wasn't elongata, but the fast growth and pattern anomaly is interesting.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Fast (about 2x) growth also occurred with erromyzons.

Half the fry was left in the parents tanks, half moved to a raising tank (with rainbow fry)... while artemia was given to both, it is doubtful that loaches got much competing against rainbows ... no losses in either tank, but huge size difference.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:53 pm

I have been feeding my sewellia fry frozen artemia a few times a week so it will be interesting to see if it affects their growth.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Frozen baby brine shrimp? -- I doubt it would do much, nutritional value is next to nothing..... I mostly stopped using it even with "top" fry.

Needs to be live, or freshly killed.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:40 pm

BTW, I've been blessed (or cursed) with a massive oblonga spawn... they came out a couple of days ago.... fast little snakes at 1"+ ....

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Congratulations!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks Jim ... always not quite what I want happens.... it was the wrong p.oblonga tank :( the other one has the albino in it (did I mention/show it to you?) and I was hoping that group spawns.

But looking at the babies, I think this is not possible yet. Oblonga seems to grow really fast to about 1.25" (2-3 months) and then stalls, the babies from the last year spawn, in the same tank, at still only 2" and I could not see any gravid females ... heck, I cannot sex at all. Maybe they need to be 2 year old or even older before they get mature? (and the group with the albino is also 1 year olds, with no sexual differentiation I can see).

Actually I should show you one day the other kuhlis in that tank... unusual.

Regarding feeding your fry: this is what I did and I think this helped with the survival of young hillie fry: take good powder food (Sera Micron or APR), put it into a cup and stir until it sinks (it is designed not to sink, so top fish babies can eat from the surface, you want it one the bottom rather than in the filter), then pour it into the tank with fry. This will not help your fry much, it is already too large, but there may be smaller ones you don't see... spotties are serial spawners.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks for the feeding advice.
As for the oblonga fry, I have not seen those pics. You should post them here.