Would a zodiac loach be ok with gastromyzon species>

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Eika

Would a zodiac loach be ok with gastromyzon species>

Post by Eika » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 am

Hi all,

I've just been learning about zodiac loaches and am wondering if my tank is suitable for one. It's only about 10 gallons, but was custom made to have a long footprint as I want to have a small group of Gastromyzon ocellatus in there. I don't have a tape on me at the moment to be specific but it's just over 2 ft long and about 2/3 of a foot wide. Decor is smooth pebbles and rocks. I've had it set up with some baby goldies from my uncle's pond for a few weeks to get everything established and get some decent algae growth on the rocks, and they'll be going back to the pond soon as it's now cycled and stable. Once I've put in a stronger filter (189 gph) would a zodiac loach be happy in this tank? And would it be safe to keep one with the borneo sucker loaches?

Thanks in advance

Eika
Eika
New Zealand

atmichaels

Re: Would a zodiac loach be ok with gastromyzon species>

Post by atmichaels » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:16 am

Eika wrote:And would it be safe to keep one with the borneo sucker loaches?
Maybe not. M. triangularis is reported to be territorial (although not always) and gastros can be a bit timid & delicate. I'd be concerned that the gastros would be stressed and in hiding all the time (or worse). In such a small tank I'd just let the gastros be the stars on their own.
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:12 am

They are territorial (and not much) toward their own kind or similar fish, gastros are likely to be ignored.

But for this project I'd consider using a larger tank, at least 20L, with more than one M. triangularis.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:08 am

In such a small tank, I would stick with the one species.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Eika

Post by Eika » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:57 am

Thanks all :) Hmmm maybe best left to my gastros then.....
mikev wrote: But for this project I'd consider using a larger tank, at least 20L, with more than one M. triangularis.
Though the tank I'm describing is more than 20L..? I found a tape measure today, it's 64cm long, 30cm high, 24cm deep (46Litres/20Gallon). Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time, I'm swapping between imperial and metric measurements too often for my sleepy brain haha :lol: Do you still think this is too small? I had heard the Zodiac were territorial towards each other but thought the borneo suckers would be more or less ignored as you say. I do work in a pet store so would have no problems returning the zodiac if it didn't work out, but if the general consensus is that it would end badly I'd rather leave it and not stress the fish out from travelling back and forth to the shop.
Eika
New Zealand

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:55 am

20L is 20 gallon long (sorry I was not clear), 30" x 12" x 12". Your tank is 11.8g... if you can change the tank to 20g, I think you will be safe with 5-6 zodiacs and gastros and it will be a fun tank too....zodiacs interact too. With 11.8g, as suggested above, go with one species.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:58 pm

64cm long, 30cm high, 24cm

30 cm = 1'

This tank is just a bit over 2' long, 1' high, and a bit under 1' deep.
Somewhat larger than the standard 10 gallon, but smaller than the standard 20 gallon long tank.

I would still suggest sticking with the one species of Loach, but perhaps a school of something could add interest in the water above the substrate, rocks and so on. There is just a limited space for bottom dwelling fish, and it is better that they not have too much conflict.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Eika

Post by Eika » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:58 am

Ach! I realise I mistyped above, it is indeed closer to 12 gallons than 20. Thanks both again for your advice, I'll stick with my hillies :)
Eika
New Zealand