Which tank for Niwaella delicata

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

cloudhands

Which tank for Niwaella delicata

Post by cloudhands » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Gang, it's been a while since I posted. Still have a house full of loaches.

So I just got 3 Niwaella delicata, in a Q tank with a powerhead. They seem quite happy in there with some Rapashys from time to time, and I'll start some baby brine shrimp.

I'm trying to figure out which tank to put them in after the quarantine. Here are the choices, in order:

The river tank, 55 gal with two big powerheads and a manifold, rounded river rocks. This tank has had a stable population of sewelias with a cobalt goby and a sumo loach. We've lost a lot of smaller nice hillstreams in that tank, and I've come to the conclusion that the sewelias are hard to compete with. We've been hoping we might get some sewelia babies -- even have a little filter box with rocks in there, but I guess the sumo and goby eat the eggs and babies.

The other hillstream tank (40 long?), with a smaller powerhead. This wasn't going to be a hillstream tank, but it turns out that we can keep hillstream fish in there if they don't have to compete with the sewelias.

Both of the above get hard, slightly alkaline tapwater, and no heat really.

Then we've got the 120, which gets rainwater or RO water -- soft, acid, we keep it 76 degrees or so. In addition to a riot of rowdy loaches -- kubs, striata, rostrata, sids-- there are some garra doing quite well and some happy dithers: cardinals, danios, diamond tetras. This tank has been very stable. Any fish dying in there are likely going of old age.

The other two tanks, the khuli-nano tank and the CPD tank are probably not in the running here.

Any thoughts on the Niwaella delicata?

odyssey

Re: Which tank for Niwaella delicata

Post by odyssey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:30 am

Hi cloudhands!

It is said that Niwaella delicata is weak for high water temperature.
If water temperature exceeds 28℃, I think that it is dangerous.
The water quality of the upper stream of the river in Japan where they inhabit is soft water.
Although they also eat bloodworm and flakes well, adhesion alga is the best food for them.
I recommend you to grow an alga.

Video clip of Niwaella delocata.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN7zV-woxJk

Niwaella delicata is grazing algae on leaves.
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Thank you for the info, Odyssey!

Per chance: do you have any useful information on R.flumineus? I believe it comes from the same streams as N.delicata....so it should be familiar to you too...
(I have them... well, I have what I *think* are R.flumineus, they came under a totally wrong name).

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:34 am

Hi mikev!
Both species often inhabit the same place as you think.
But the habitat region of Niwaella delicata is more restrictive.
Unfortunately I have kept N.delicata, but I hadn't kept R.flumineus, but have eaten both.
Though both fish are delicious, N.delicata is the fish which is very delicious as the name shows it.
N.delicata is one of the cooking ingredients which are the most delicious in a Japanese river fish.
Since N.delicata is extravagant foods, its 1 kg is dealt with for 100 dollars or more.

Could you acquire helpful information?

I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Thank you, Odyssey!

Nay, my interest is more about breeding rather than eating them... and I should have no problem keeping them (I have other rhinogobius sp.).... but spawning habits and size of the egg/fry is what I would love to know.

Perhaps I may ask you to look at the photos in this thread to confirm that my ID is correct? (the fish came in under a wrong name, "Japan" was not even mentioned as the source, so I may be wrong....) and that R.flumineus is widespread and has many forms makes it more difficult.

Michael

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 am

Hope you are still around, Odyssey!

I'm a happy owner of a small group now.... need to ask you: do you know anything about their markings? Some seem to have dashes or triangles below the lateral line, some don't.. is this locale or perhaps sex or age?

A couple of mine are here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
notice the front fish has nothing below the lateral, but the one behind does.....