Small clown loach not doing well

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Re: Small clown loach not doing well

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:21 am

Thank you, everyone! She/he is still alive and I am watching very carefully! I'll check out your links, tomorrow, MikeV!!

Happy New Year, everyone!

Pangiophile

Post by Pangiophile » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:45 pm

mikev wrote:prazi is ineffective against most internal parasites while metro is totally ineffective against them. Again, *benzadole or levamisole are the only options
Thanks for the information! Do you recommend keeping either or both on hand as a precaution, since they have to be mail ordered? Do they have a long shelf life?

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:16 am

Very welcome...

I only keep flubendazole... basically it is a better medication and also levamisole is easier to get (many sources in addition to the link I gave, it is often available on Aquabid..., look here... whereas flubendazole is one US source and one UK source, that's it.).

Generally any wild caught and especially bottom fish may have parasites, so I'm among those who treat them all... easier than worry about the diseases later.... so I have a sufficient supply to deal with all new fish purchases. And funny enough I've never seen parasites in pangios myself....but still it is easier to treat than worry.

As for the shelf life: at least three years and probably much longer...

Hope this helps.

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:13 am

Correct I bought my Clowns in 1995. I have not needed to strip the tank down for cleaning but have swapped out the substrate in stages and installed undergravel filtration.

I'd recommend feeding the live bloodworm as I have found this the most likely to be eaten by a sick fish.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:48 am

I am not sure if I can get live bloodworms, sad to say! Our stores have about the basics and that is it. When I go to Omaha, Nebraska next wk. I'll see if I can find some there. I am in Nebraska, so it's now very cold and they probably couldn't be shipped!!
Tahnk you, once again!! Your loach must be beautiful!!!!!

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:40 am

Mike, I see that you said the fenbendazole is panacur. I have panacur paste and am wondering if that would work?? I have used it on my persian kittens, etc. If the paste won't work, I can get pills from the vet.
Thanks!!

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:38 am

Mike, I thought I replied to you, but it may have been in another similar topic!

I have panacur paste that I have used for my kittens. Can this be used?? It would be more soluble than the tablet, I would think. If not, I can get some tabs from the vet!!

Thanks!

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:57 am

Live bloodworms: sure a great idea, but difficult to find in most places, I'd not even try. Get frozen, or -- if you can afford it -- get live blackworms from a known healthy source. Figure out $30-$40 dollars for a small portion...not sure this is worth it.

Fenbendazole: two problems here. Firstly, do not use any paste, only chemically pure fenbendazole, that is tablets. (Rationale: whatever is added to the paste may not be suitable for fish at all). Your vet should be able to get it for you, or you can find it cheaply online. Secondly, it is not easy to dissolve, see the thread on skinny disease in l.guntea for some explanation... If you are concerned about the cost, begin with levamisole (see the link I gave above), it is only $10, easy, and quite likely will work.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:36 pm

I saw in a previous post you suggested dissolving fenbendazole in vodka - I take it, just a little bit?
I am getting a packet of this (a powder) and am wondering about the dosage. If it's a powder, do I still want to use vodka? I do have that on hand!
I have 1 peco, 2 yoyo loaches and a zebra danio and from what I am reading this (fen///) should be safe for everyone, correct??

Sorry for all the questions!! I have never treated for an internal parasite. My loach is still alive, so am keeping my fingers crossed!!

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:58 pm

I suggested to use flubendazole or levamisole....

With fenbendazole dissolving is difficult, and people use solvents like acetone, vodka, or DMC. All of them are dangerous substances. I cannot give you specific instructions, but Google is your friend --- search for fenbendazole+vodka and you will find some information, or search for fenbendazole+dmc, or "dissolving fenbendazole" or fenbendazole+acetone.
(The only time I used fenbendazole I dissolved it by lengthy intensive stirring in hot water.... at least no poisons are involved, but yet again, the best course is not to reinvent the wheel and just get one of two meds that likely will work.)

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks, I am sure you think I am an idiot, but I felt I had to get what was available at the present. I would have order the others, but they wouldn't get to me until Mon. and I'm afraid my loach will not last that long. Also, I thought I had read the flubendazole was not available anymore is that correct?
I do not live in an area that has the conveniences of the city, sad to say! And, you have to do with what you have available! :)

mikev

Post by mikev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:41 pm

No, no such feelings, but you should try movinge faster... take to the US flubendazole vendor now, his email (on the page I linked) is
csharrison@inkmaker.net (Charles Harrison)
and see how soon you can get the med. Flubendazole is available, there is also a source in the UK, but it will take you 10 days or more to get the med from the UK.
Talk to the Aquabid vendor (again, the link is above) and ask the same question.

Working with what you have on hand is simply not likely to work and may cause additional problems. However:

Here is my story of using fenbendazole: I did this because at the time (years ago) I could not get flubendazole quickly enough and levamisole did not work, so I had to work with what was available, like you now. You can try doing exactly what I did, unlike other things mentioned it is safe and may work (worked for me). Specifically:
1. Get Panacur C tablets (chem pure).
2. Have a local drug store grind it for you into fine powder and measure the amount for 4mg/l concentration.
3. Dissolve it in hot (70C or so) water by extensively stirring for 20-30 minutes (your hands will be in pain!)
4. Pour the water into your tank and try to dissolve the residue (undissolved med) again in more hot water.

Good luck!

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:47 pm

I've used Safe-Guard Dog dewormer which is a fenbenadole powder. Most any pet store including petsmart/co should have it. But as Mike has explained it's a terrible mess. Contact Charles and buy some flubendazole. He's always been quick to ship when I needed some. You won't regret having it around. A $25 vial lasts me more than a year.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:34 pm

I am planning a second dose of panacur, with bloodworms soaked in it. I have tried feeding the loach, holding a worm with a pair of tweezers, but he doesn't seem interested in eating. I have also put a carnivour tablet with him. I am not noticing any poop in the mornings. He is really just wasting away, but I keep trying. :( Anything other suggestions in trying to get him to eat?? :?

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:22 am

Sadly, I lost the little clown loach. I think I should have brought him home, sooner, to get him away from the larger loach. I don't think he was letting him eat, like he should, even tho' I put food in different areas of the tank. The second loach, which is smaller than the first one is doing just fine, but the new one was just to small. :(

Thank you for all the replies!!