Small clown loach not doing well

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sadielynne

Small clown loach not doing well

Post by Sadielynne » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:31 pm

I have brought home a small clown loach, from the veterans home, because I thought he was getting pushed away from the food. He is with a couple yoyo loaches, a zebra danio and a fairly large pleco. This little one is quite thin and I have put him in a net, by himself, to hopefully get him to eat.

What else can I do for him? I have given him a carnivorous pellet and some flake food, but I think he's too weak to eat! I did put a small piece of krill, that is for my puffer fish, in the net with him, thinking at this point, it might be tempting and he would eat it, but I don't think so.

He was going around the bottom and picking up a few bits of food, but I think he's too weak to do much,now. I should have brought him home sooner, maybe. I don't think the yoyo loaches have been bothering him.

Thanks!

(Sorry, I think my post is a little "rambley"!!

mikev

Re: Small clown loach not doing well

Post by mikev » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:49 pm

"Quite thin" ==> Probably the "skinny disease", which usually means internal parasites.
The first thing to do is to treat him for worms (flubendazole, or -- if you cannot find it -- levamisole) and asap, hopefully it is not too late.

And meanwhile try offering him frozen bloodworms... perhaps he would take some and last long enough for you to treat.

Good luck.

ordering info.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't have flubendazole, etc., but do have formaldehyde (1 drop/10 gal.), per a wholesaler, when I had my pet store. Also, I have SF Bay Marine Cuisine (frozen) (We live in an area with limited resources!!) I have freeze-dried bloodworms at the vets home, but I won't be going there until tomorrow. I am going on a wing and a prayer! :(
If this is a parasite, I assume I should treat the tank I had him in originally, correct?
Thank you so much! Paula

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:50 pm

flubendazole and/or levamisole, otherwise you will be wasting your time. If the fish is no longer eating you do not have much time either. Meds (and food) can be ordered by mail, and if the fish is important to you, express mail is an option.

as for food: frozen bloodworms or perhaps frozen shrimp are more likely to be eaten. But if the fish eats anything at all, this is already good. Of course this is just a delay, you still must treat.
If this is a parasite, I assume I should treat the tank I had him in originally, correct?
no, you treat the tank the fish is in now. If the parasite is direct (less likely but sure happens) you will save the other fish the loach is with.

good luck!

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:55 pm

In principle, you can also try treating with fenbendazole.... this is quite tricky, but at least the med is likely to be available in some pet store around you (as Panacur tablets, for dogs & cats). See the "Skinny disease?" thread in the disease subforum here.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:08 am

I did find that I had Parasite Guard, by Jungle, so used it. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as it is 3 yrs. old. :cry: I didn't see an expiration date.

When I was asking about treating the other tank this loach was in, I thought there could be an issue with those fish, concerning a possible internal parasite. Am I correct on that?

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:12 am

Parasite Guard --- wrong med, will not do anything whether it is expired or new.

In principle, yes, it may be worth it to treat the other tank too, but only if you use a medication that works. But trying random medications is not going to do anything good and can only further harm the fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm

To encourage him to eat, soak whatever food you have in garlic.
Mince or smash a clove of fresh garlic. Mix with the food. Pellets, flake, freeze dried, frozen...

If you have made too much you can refrigerate it, but I would not keep it beyond about 1 day. Keep it well covered so it does not dry out in the fridge.

If the little guy has internal parasites then these may have infested the other fish in the original tank.

Clown Loaches are stressed when they cannot hide under something. A breeder net or similar device is very bad. I would rather see him in a fish bowl sort of set up (with heater and filter, of course) but somewhere he can get to the bottom and hide under a rock or a bit of driftwood.
If that is not possible, and he has to stay in the net, then do all you can to provide the safety of a cave-like protected area. Float plants in there, add something to the floor of the box, wrap a towel around the outside of the tank... whatever it takes.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Clown Loaches are stressed when they cannot hide under something.....
Absolutely correct on this (and the rest).

In fact, it is also possible that the fish eats at night when it feels more comfortable. To check on this: place a single suitable wafer (Hikari Carnivore, for instance) in the net at night and see if it is gone in the morning.

As it happens I'm quarantining xlarge clowns right now... not as bad as in a net, but the qtank is too small to provide any hiding furniture. The fish is healthy, deeply unhappy for obvious reasons, and would not eat during the day, but the food of all kinds is replaced by poop during the night.

And as for garlic: it has some anti-parasitic effect too. Not enough to rely upon, but surely cannot hurt.

Pangiophile

Post by Pangiophile » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:24 pm

API General Cure is advertised for wasting diseases and might be easier to find. The active ingredients are aremetronidazole and praziquantel (currently; I think it was something different a few years ago).

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:19 pm

I brought a whitespot-covered skinny 3cm fish back from the brink with live bloodworm which was all it would eat. I was pretty much amazed it turned the corner. in desperation I ended up with triple the malachite green dose. i gave weed to hide under. the fish is with me today at 21 years of age now. the care was worth it. I believe it was around a month until it could join the others.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:24 pm

Well, I couldn't find anything for parasites, but I got garlic and will mix the food. I brought home the carnivour tabs, plus the freeze-dried bloodworms. He's still alive, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Will check out a parasite med on the internet!!

Thank you, so much and I will keep you posted!! Paula

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:25 pm

redshark1 wrote: the fish is with me today at 21 years of age now.
Wow. Good job, at 21 the fish can even vote now!

I'll show my new guys a bit later.... just moved them from qtank to 6'.... the 11" fish sure seems happier in it than it was in 10g....

Happy New Year, all, and good luck with the sick clown. Yes, saving him is worth it.

PS. @Redshark, I think I understand your sig... is 1995 the year this tank was set up?

Sadielynne

Post by Sadielynne » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:39 am

pangiophile, I think Earl May had API General Cure. I'll check on Fri. as they are closed today, I am sure!Thank you!

Also, using the garlic, do I put the little chunks of garlic in the tank, too? Or do I just want the flavor with the other foods? I mixed bloodworms, Hikari pellets and frozen marine cuisine with it and put a bit in the net with him. he seemed more lively, but I figured the garlic had something to do with that!

WOW!!!What size tank is the 11" loach in??? He must be a beauty!!!!!!

mikev

Post by mikev » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 am

Do not waste time/money on General Cure. It may work, but the chances are quite low, prazi is ineffective against most internal parasites while metro is totally ineffective against them. Again, *benzadole or levamisole are the only options, use the link I gave above or google.

the big clown: in 125g, and she seems to like it better than the 10g used for quarantining.... wonder why. :D