Need help setting up a 225 gallon loach tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Maarten B

Re: Need help setting up a 225 gallon loach tank

Post by Maarten B » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:28 pm

I also used my old "startertank" for a sump. I dont know about what size sumpis recommended to fit a maintank. Mine is 160 l/40gallon on a 600 l/150gallon main tank. I glued in some plexiglass sheets, dumped a lot of pondfiltergrit (small, really light porous stones, 10kg for 15 euro), sand and a pump in, and never cleaned it since. Shrimp do that for me, and eat leftovers that flow down into the sump.
And yes, alongside the sump, i run 2 cannisters. Like Mikev said, more oneway flow is better.
A suggestion: if possible, start your brand new cannisters now on your current tank, then when you start your new tank, change them over, with as much possible "old" water. And, like Mikev said, change the move the old filters over together with the fish.
another suggestion: search youtube for "the king of diy". A lot of usefull tips there.

of course, do everything your own way, while thinking of practical longterm use.
have fun!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:11 pm

Many mollies like salt in the water, which clowns do not enjoy.

I would, therefore consider mollies as not suitable dithers. Clowns come from Sumatra, and Sumatra has a lot of much more suitable dithers - many Rasboras, and others. So why go around the globe to find a less suitable fish?

If you want to mix up the continents, go for Congo tetras. At least their water preference is similar to clown loaches

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Bas Pels.

I agree. Thank you for the advice on other fish.
I was given all of these fish when I bought the tank. So, I'm setting up specifically a clown loach tank and add some friends for them that will complement them. I will look at the ones you've mentioned as well as others from that region. I really don't want to keep the mollies anymore.

Thanks again.

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Tue May 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi.

I finally got my tank up and running and it's perfect. I lost a few fish but not my clowns. They hid for a few weeks and only recently all 4 started coming out. I got 6 new young ones and am planning on adding 2 more bigger ones closer to 4-5" long like my current ones.

It was tough going for a few once I added new fish. One fish, a spotted catfish, had some sort of fungus and died so I had to treat the whole tank. I thought another catfish died but I found him hiding in a decoration. I don't ever see him... so I hope he's doing okay. But, all of the other fish, especially the clowns are doing really well. I think they like their ocean of a tank.

My pictures are not that great because they never stay still and I keep the tank fairly dark.

But, I wanted to thank all who helped. I'm absolutely loving the setup.

Nick Hancock

Post by Nick Hancock » Wed May 27, 2015 1:14 pm

Looks great! I'd love to be able to house something that big. They certainly have plenty of room.

Maarten B

Post by Maarten B » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:43 am

Wow! That turned out nice. Your fish look good too.
what kind of catfish? Many of them hide during the day, only filling their belly once a week or so.

jennyberrya

Post by jennyberrya » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi Maarten B.

I have a Agamyxis pectinifron or a Spotted Talking Catfish. He's/She's been hiding out where the clowns snooze during the day. I keep checking on him/her to make sure its still alive and sure enough hiding up top is the catfish. I'm considering putting this one in my 55 gallon with my mollies as I read it like still waters but I'd hate to try and get him. I also have two Pimelodus pictus because I thought the talking one was gone. I see these two all the time.
It's so funny. People always ask, "Why do you have such small fish for a large tank?" and I have to explain that I have these fish for the long term and they will get pretty big over the years. I'm going to add two more larger clowns to help my bigger clowns come out more… though I have noticed they come out during the day when I'm not around. I saw them swimming on a day I had off so that's a good sign.
So far so good on all of the fish. I'm really enjoying the tank.