look what i found!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Maarten B

Re: look what i found!

Post by Maarten B » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:20 pm

one more thing i wanted to share(show off):
my feeding/aerating/snail+daphniabreeding/biofiltering manifold thing. not pretty, but i am still very,very happy with it.
flake injection, my girl named it "the snowglobe effect", so everyone can eat:

ImageImage

above the tank:

fresh meat ready to serve itsself:

Maarten B

Post by Maarten B » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Loachloach wrote:Really nice pics and lovely clowns.

I love the third picture on the list with the clown loach. Priceless!

Everyone is looking great. Well done!

Do the new juvies keep to themselves or do they mix with the larger ones yet?

thanks! :D I love that photo too. flash made her look a bit lighter than she really is. other than that, i'm happy with the fishy photo settings.
but i'm sad to say the marbled gourami girl really does look as old as in the photo. bought her 5 years ago as nearly fullgrown. can't be very lomg before she passes away.

no, the juvies dont mix at all with the larger clowns. the little ones only rarely follow a larger one, but the larger ones don't seem to even be a little interested in the small ones. that is why i asked you if you would get yours a friend.

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:46 am

no, the juvies dont mix at all with the larger clowns. the little ones only rarely follow a larger one, but the larger ones don't seem to even be a little interested in the small ones. that is why i asked you if you would get yours a friend.
I hadn't thought of him being too small to join the others. And he probably is. Now I regret it I didn't pick up another one from somewhere else but when I got him he was the last one in that shop. Maybe the rest all perished because who leaves a small clown loach alone :roll: Although he was in a shark tank....quite content with himself... Right now I don't want to risk him with another clown loach in case they carry white spot or other "skinny" diseases. And he's got to stay in this tank for a while until I fatten him up to a decent enough size, at least as big as my biggest corys. If I get another loach now, he's got to be quarantined separately which defeats the purpose.
Also, my other clowns are quite playful doing 8s on the glass daily so he'll have a chance to exhaust himself and I doubt it he'll fight to be a dominant one anytime soon although judging by his character, I won't be surprised if he does chance his arm :lol:

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Are they still murdering baby fish? See the potential?
You know, since you asked me this question I've been thinking......
When I added my biggest clown loach a year and a half ago, the following months most of my forktail rainbow fish disappeared. Basically one day I looked and I counted 2 rainbow fish and the previous time I looked they were all there which was a school of 9. The tank is near my sofa I sit on so I was stumped how they disappeared without me noticing and it must have happened in a very short time frame. At the time the forktails were smaller as I got them as tiny fry and I only had them for a year or so. The two left now are big enough for anyone's mouth.
At the time I thought something must have happened with the water quality. The problem is, how do a bunch of about 7 fish disappear like that....all the other fish were fine. It's possible they were eaten and it's possible the clown loach or loaches ate/eat a few platies too which I wouldn't have noticed because they keep breeding.....But I've never ever seen any of them attack any size of fish at any time when I looked, not even during feeding so I ruled it out....but who knows....My cory population is intact but the corys do 8s with the clown loaches on the glass so the clowns may not see them as food.
And that bigger loach I have is growing fast for an old fella...big mouth on him too....Maybe that's why he was extradited to the fish shop :lol:

Maarten B

Post by Maarten B » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Time for an update.

The big girl really regained color. Nice satinblack stripes, orange fins with a good black inside and a darkyellow, almost tan, bodycolor. Not skittish anymore, but she still doesn't show herself much. The ease of fooddelivery to her cave makes her lazy i guess. :lol:
The small ones have grown a lot. They seem to have doubled in weight and lost the babylooks. To my surprise, the most boisterous one, that picked al the fights, grew the least. Ime, the boldest fish in a group is the fastest to reach mature size. She(?) Must have her prioritys wrong. Also, the are now starting to hang out more and more with the older clowns, and seem to be accepted as conspecifics. Swimming together, sleeping in the same cave (not the big ones cave) and "sharing " algeawafers.
I'll see if i can get some more fotos. They all look great.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:49 am

I guess I missed this thread for a while. Yes please, more pics.