Gastromyzon ID

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Eika

Gastromyzon ID

Post by Eika » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:05 am

Got a couple new hillstreams the other day which I've not seen before. Anybody got any ideas?

First one, zebrinus maybe?

Second one, almost like an ocellatus towards to the tail-end, but with different markings at the front and middle.

Sorry for the image quality, relying on my phone's camera at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Eika
New Zealand

olly

Re: Gastromyzon ID

Post by olly » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:12 am

Perhaps, G.crenastus.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 am

Agree with Olly, maybe. :) Look very thin!

Eika

Post by Eika » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:30 am

Thanks guys, I just googled G crenastus and a lot of the results do look just like them. Interesting, I'd never heard of this species before. They are indeed really thin, the shop I got them from had to call me back because they were sick with some sort of external parasite for 3 weeks before I could get them. Fingers crossed they'll perk up, got them in quarantine now and only one of them has shown interest in any food.
Eika
New Zealand

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:15 am

They need aufwuchs. IME gastros can be slow to take food, some never do. That looks like a new tank with no algae growth. If you can give them some rocks from a clean established tank to graze on it would help. Put some flat rocks in a container of nitrate rich tank water in the sunlight, maybe on a window sill.

Eika

Post by Eika » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:48 am

Sorry I didn't specify, yes the quarantine tank has been newly set up for them so I've put a large-leaf fake plant in from an established tank for them to graze on. So far not much interest, although one of them did graze a little on an algae wafer yesterday evening. The skinnier one (2nd lot of pics) has hardly moved, I'm a little worried I may lose him. Will have a look tonight and consider moving them into an established tank with other hillstreams. It is a risk but other than the skinniness they look pretty good. No skin damage or blotchiness at least...
Eika
New Zealand

Eika

Post by Eika » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:35 am

Scratch that...the less skinny one has died today. I've checked parameters for the quarantine and they are fine, added another ornament for the remaining one to graze on. Come on little fella keep going...
Eika
New Zealand

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry for the loss.
Will have a look tonight and consider moving them into an established tank with other hillstreams. It is a risk but other than the skinniness they look pretty good. No skin damage or blotchiness at least...
No, don't cut the quarantine short no matter what, you may destroy everything.

Skinny condition may be caused by *direct* parasites too, I had this with p.cheni and disparis. This may cause a total wipeout.

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:30 am

mikev wrote:Sorry for the loss.
Will have a look tonight and consider moving them into an established tank with other hillstreams. It is a risk but other than the skinniness they look pretty good. No skin damage or blotchiness at least...
No, don't cut the quarantine short no matter what, you may destroy everything.

Skinny condition may be caused by *direct* parasites too, I had this with p.cheni and disparis. This may cause a total wipeout.
Yes resist that urge by all means. You may end up killing them all. Unfortunately, it's common to find gastros in this shape. They're not properly cared for after catching and in transport. Oxygenate the water as much as possible.

Eika

Post by Eika » Mon May 11, 2015 8:21 am

I moved him into a busy 50 gallon yesterday, already by today he has settled and is nicely active. Not seen him graze yet but there is plenty of established coating/aufwuchs for him to find. Good to see it moving around and exploring the new tank rather than how life-less (ironically) they are in q tanks.

pH - 6.2 (we are on tank water so it is always quite low pH, though at least it is stable)
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm, remainder of an expected ammonia spike earlier in the week when I cleaned the cannister filter.

It's still early days, but I hope he/she settles in and puts on some weight. It's a very pretty specimen and definitely one I personally haven't seen before.
Eika
New Zealand

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun May 24, 2015 1:20 am

I can't say enough about Repashy Soilent Green gel food for hillies of all kinds! An aufwuchs susbstitute that most fish love! Try it!