Panda loach success!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

atmichaels

Re: Panda loach success!

Post by atmichaels » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:42 pm

These guys are really growing! I've counted 16 fry from the October group and they are 16-18 mm today. The NEW fry I saw today are only about 5 or 6 mm. :D

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:15 pm

Whoo Hoo!

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Short video update. The fry are about 6 weeks old now and I tried to zoom in on one of the new 2-week olds.

http://youtu.be/Rcg_V3x-9D0

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:50 pm

So how many fry are there now? From, what, 3 or 4 batches, I lost count? Awesome, Austen!

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:02 am

NancyD wrote:So how many fry are there now? From, what, 3 or 4 batches, I lost count? Awesome, Austen!
At least 24 from 3 groups. Thanks! I stare at this tank several times a day and every few days I count more and more fry. The newly hatched ones are really good at hiding!

I think I may have witnessed spawning behavior yesterday morning between the largest female and one of the males. They kept going nose-to-nose and then circling each other. I tried to get a video but they were not interested in displaying for the camera. I didn't get to see how it ended as I had to leave for work.

I really must get another tank set up (aw shucks, right?)

Austen

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:17 pm

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:01 pm

They've been spawning pretty regularly since the fall. I've never seen eggs but I have watched the male dig out the nest ( pic below).

This shows the fry/juvies from at least 4 different spawns. The newest, only a couple of days old, is right about dead center.

The tank is getting pretty full, time to start moving some on.

Austen

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Great pics, Austen! I love the breeding pit, & of course the many sizes of fry, so cute!

I've only seen them for sale here, well, once as juvies, then as they aged into adults, & juvies at another lfs 1 time. Hopefully you & other hobby breeders will help bring the astronomical prices down! Hint, hint, I do come to Mich (Lansing area) at least twice a year! Put me on the short list, lol.
Last edited by NancyD on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I'm about an hour and a half from Lansing but let me know the next time you're in Michigan and I'm sure we can work out a meet. I'm more than happy to share. I'm passionate about conservation so I'd be thrilled to see more people successfully breeding these, and other, loaches.

Austen

atmichaels

Post by atmichaels » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:55 pm

So this is what they look like before getting any color.

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:19 pm

Wow, cool to find such a little fry & get good pics