Odd ovoid white patches/wounds/scratches/parasites

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

andyroo

Odd ovoid white patches/wounds/scratches/parasites

Post by andyroo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:40 am

Folks,

I've got a clown with 2 sizeable (2mmx1mm) ovoid marks in his middle black stripe, one on the top right in front of the dorsal fin and one on the flank.

They look like scratches, but the regularity of them/their shape makes me wonder. If i had put any new/native fish in over the past 6 months i'd think it could be some sort of skin fluke or surface parastite, but i haven't. I can't see anything on the skin, even in profile with the dorsal spot.

There seems to be no fungal infection, the spots have just become more prominent/whiter over the past two days. They are not growing. The fish is about 5cm (2 inch) long.... little.

My tank is outdoors on the balcony, and with winter weather it gets down to as low as mid to upper 70's overnight. I turn off the pumps to maintain heat... i'm monitoring closely for Ich with the depressed temp. and not adding new fish until mid Feb. when temp increases (additions will be a couple of new clowns initially and some local FW killies, gobies, pipefish and mullet over next months). Tank >100gal. with 6 fish in it.

I've noted some loss of vigor in the loach in the early AM with temp. drop, but he's back on top and stealing food from Oscar's mouth by 10:00.

I am adding seasalt to make sure it dosen't go fungal and will install a heater next week.

Suggestions? I've never had a skin fluke or larger parasitic animal infection in this tank before. Just occasional Ich in the winter.

I have some Malachyte green (spelling?) on hand, in case it seems to warrant.

Too bad loach chemical defense (if it's there) won't work on parasties.

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:50 am

All right,

He's looking like he's chewing something uncomfortable and swimming with mouth open.
Lethargic as compared to usual.
Suggestions for fluke/flatworm treatments? Don't know where he'd have got them though... No drama on any other fish in the tank.

Water has been over 25C / 77F overnight. Should be fine, yes?

Getting a little worried.

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

shari

oodinium

Post by shari » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:03 pm

May not be this (and I hope it's not) but you could look into it:

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/h ... tist.shtml

hth

clownloach

Post by clownloach » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Well, in my opinion i think it is nothing because my loach which is about 8 inches long or 20cm has the exact same thing that you are talking about on it's nose. The only conclusion that i can come up with for mine and maybe yours is that it is showing off it's colours but the noses and fins take long to appear fuller. The reason is because that loach was previously in another tank all by itself, then that tank had broke for some odd reason and i had to move it to my tank which had 7 clownloaches. It only happened about 12 hours after i had moved him in there and it apeared to me that he was happier because he had friends to hang out with. I'm sorry if this is much help but as you read i truely think that, that is the most resonible expination. Personally, i would not worry about it because my is acting just fine.
Q('.'Q)

shari

Post by shari » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:41 pm

thanks for your opinion clownloach. Good fishkeepers always keep an eye on their fish and unusual behavior or known issues with their tanks (like temp changes) can and should cause them to consider all the possibilities. Especially when unusual behavior is noticed.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Good news, and thanks everyone for the help.
Ran a 1/2 dose of that green formaline based medication. Chewing thing has gone away and appetite is back up, though big white spots still there and a new spot beginning on opposite flank. It really looks like a wound or a bite. Will continue formaline treatment until Tuesday. If no further change, then a few days of increased salinity to see what happens... then 50% water change and leave it be.

Either way, i'm putting off new collections and tank-mates until the spring.

Thanks again, and further suggestions welcome.

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

loachee

Post by loachee » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:53 am

Does it look this this?

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:12 pm

Folks,

Nope, my lesions are not similar to or near as bad as this photo, nor are they velvet diatoms.I'm pretty convinced that it was a scar/attack from the little river goby. No new damage to report and all lesions are healing up (touch wood). Will be sure to get a female goby or two for next season to take the pressure off.

These photos look like some massive overproduciton of skin mucus. Possibly a water quality issue? I saw the photos last week and cringed. Have you put in any new decorations recently? Terra cotta pots seem to sometimes have toxins as might other things. Sorry to hear that one of them was lost.

Thanks again for everyone's inputs,

Andyroo
"I can eat 50 eggs !"