Information about breeding botia kubotai

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

botiaboy

Information about breeding botia kubotai

Post by botiaboy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:20 pm

I'd like to try to spawn angelicus loaches in the future. I have 5 in a 55 gallon with some other loaches. Does anyone have any information on instances of them spawning in captivity?
My loaches:
5 kubotai
5 almorhae
5 kuhli
5 zebra
1 aborichthys

Greek

Re: Information about breeding botia kubotai

Post by Greek » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:00 pm

Hey,
IMO there's no big difference between spawning them and the other Botiidae loaches. The reason why we can read about some spawnings of Clowns or Sids is the fact, that those are just more common - so there's obviously a bigger chance to spawn them.
Firstly: You have to prepare a really huge tank for them - 55gal is definitely too tiny to spawning those botias.
Secondly: You have to install some powerheads to make a nice water flow. Kubotais are migratory spawners and that can simulate a spawning season.
And finally the most important: You have to prepare water with exactly the same parameters as they have in nature. So pH generally 6.5. Hardness below 12n. To simulate a rainy season, You can let pH rise to sub-7 values. But important thing is how to prepare water with those pH. No CO2 - that's the point! In nature they have no CO2 added to water. Parameters like that are the result of low carbonate hardness and tannins in water. So You have to keep KH about 1-2n, and then acidify with tannins.

* there's one more thing - some fishes spawned on asian farms, using hormones can be infertile.