Hi I'm new! And confused about my new golden zebra loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

JamieL

Hi I'm new! And confused about my new golden zebra loach

Post by JamieL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:31 pm

I recently purchased 4 loaches. I was looking for yo yo loaches, I asked at the store and the girl said no, they had no loaches in stock but they do have a few kinds of botia. I look closer and I see one that looks like the yoyo. The next girl helping me says they're similar to yoyos but get just slightly larger. They were labeled golden zebra botia. I'm confused about what I bought and im trying to figure it out so I can get correct information! Ive been keeping other types of fish for years, But these are my first loaches, I don't know too much about them. Help?

atmichaels

Re: Hi I'm new! And confused about my new golden zebra loach

Post by atmichaels » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome! You can start on the main site here:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-histronica

Austen
Currently keeping: gastromyzon spp., hypergastromyzon humilis, pseudogastromyzon sp., sewellia spp., ambastaia sidthimunki, homaloptera spp., serpenticobitis octozona, Yaoshania pachychilus. As well as various catfish, loricarids, livebearers and tetras.

JamieL

Post by JamieL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:35 pm

Thank you! So botia histronica isnt likely correct then. I spent a lot of time googling golden zebra loach and getting all kinds of different answers and pictures of fish that looked nothing like the ones I have, and getting really frustrated
Last edited by JamieL on Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:16 pm

Of the fish in the bag, the lightest colored on in front has a pattern more like a Yoyo Loach.
Most of the Loach species with this sort of banding are somewhat variable, and may change their patterns with age, so this is not a guaranteed way to tell them apart.

Look at the dark markings. Start right behind the head. Sort of looks like a Y.
Next is a sort of blank area. Maybe the fish is a bit pale from stress. A Yoyo Loach would have a bit of a dark area right there. O
Next is another Y, ahead of the dorsal fin. (This is the most obvious Y shaped band)
Next is a slight darkened spot, O.
Then another Y right there at the dorsal fin.
Next is another blank area that might have a shadow of a spot. O.
After that the banding is not so obviously Y shaped.

Look for the coloring to improve as the fish becomes less stressed. Perhaps the O- like spots will appear.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

JamieL

Post by JamieL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:30 pm

Yes, that photo was from the day they came home, they've colored up beautifully. And actually now that I'm looking at them, one for sure says yo yo yo on the one side. Two look just like the photo of the polka dot loach. The fourth almost looks like an all over square pattern. :?

JamieL

Post by JamieL » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Here she is now