Brackish Loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mel0n

Brackish Loaches?

Post by mel0n » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:53 am

I'm setting up a brackish water tank and am planning to get 6 Indian mudskippers, they can handle a gravity of 1.003. And i am wondering if i can get some hillstream loaches with them because i am making a waterfall so i can see their behavior of clinging on rocks and stuff. Would this be possible? Also, can fish such as peacock eels go in there too? Many thanks!

Greek

Re: Brackish Loaches?

Post by Greek » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:19 pm

It's unfortunately impossible to keep hillstream loaches in brackish condidions. They live in a fast flowing rivers - so it is impossible that those waters can be brackish. It happens only in slow moving rivers nearby a sea or an ocean. It's impossible for the salt water to climb up the stream :D

mel0n

Post by mel0n » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Greek wrote:It's unfortunately impossible to keep hillstream loaches in brackish condidions. They live in a fast flowing rivers - so it is impossible that those waters can be brackish. It happens only in slow moving rivers nearby a sea or an ocean. It's impossible for the salt water to climb up the stream :D
Okay, thanks for the help.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Macrognathus aculeatus is one of the related eels that does enter brackish water. One of its common names is (Lesser) Peacock Eel
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/5152

Use the Latin name if you have to order this fish, they are uncommon, and you will probably get the wrong fish if you just go by common names.

What other fish are you planning in this set up? How are you providing 'land' for the Mud Skippers?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

The Angry Loach

Post by The Angry Loach » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:25 pm

They have peacock eels for distribution on thatfishplace. They're not Always in stock, but if you live in the US, they're great to go through. Just figured I'd mention it.
I liek feesh. And yes, I drew that xD

mel0n

Post by mel0n » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Diana wrote:Macrognathus aculeatus is one of the related eels that does enter brackish water. One of its common names is (Lesser) Peacock Eel
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/5152

Use the Latin name if you have to order this fish, they are uncommon, and you will probably get the wrong fish if you just go by common names.

What other fish are you planning in this set up? How are you providing 'land' for the Mud Skippers?
The fish im planning are 2 peacock eels, 2 dragon gobies, a bunch of endlers, 6 indian mudskippers (they're only 3 inches full grown) 5 hogchokers, and 3 to 5 hillstream loaches. The SG is 10.03 and the tank is 75 gallons. I'm making a custom background similar to this: https://planethx.com/category/mudskipper-paludarium/

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:04 pm

That is a really neat background/hardscape. I hope there are enough places for the Mudskippers- they can get quite territorial.

Sounds like way too many bottom fish.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!