Newbie seeking advice

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

kim6cats

Newbie seeking advice

Post by kim6cats » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Hoping someone can advise me.. my favourite fish in the entire universe is a dwarf gold chain loach.. if i could only have one species this would be it .. so you can tell i like them :P For various reasons i have been without them for several years now but have just upgraded to a new/old tank from ebay. I desperately wanted to get my beloved chains in there.. but the tank came complete with 3 clown loaches. Now i have zero experience with clowns but just read that they grow huge...
So my questions are..
Should i keep the clowns being that the tank is only 1 meter length? they are small at the moment but obviously they will grow.. realistically i wouldnt be able to provide a bigger tank for them. Should i allow someone else to take them? Or will it take so long for them to grow and it's best to cross that bridge when i come to it?
Secondly i know it's probably unlikely but.. can clowns and dwarf loaches co-exist happily in the same tank while the clowns are relatively small? or is it just not a good idea?
I do have a second tank.. same size in another alcove and that has pakistani loach.. i've never tried the pakistanis with dwarf as i always thought the pakistanis were too big and might intimidate the dwarfs?

redshark1

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by redshark1 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:28 pm

I'd advise swapping the Clown Loaches when you find your chosen species.

I, on the other hand would recommend the Clown Loaches as the best species I have kept (but not in the small tank obviously).
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Diana

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by Diana » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Pakistani Loaches also get too big for a tank that is only 1m long. Mine were able to eat full grown Neon Tetras when the Loaches were about half grown. I sure would not keep them with smaller fish, even smaller Loaches.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!