My Loaches need a new home :(

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Jhaptal

My Loaches need a new home :(

Post by Jhaptal » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello there,
Just came across the forum the other day while trying to figure out what to do with my Loaches. So this may be a long shot but I need to find a new home for my little friends. I have four Clown Loaches, two about 8 years old and two about 3 years old. I'm not looking for any money for them just a good home with someone that will treat them right. I'm located in Burbank, California and would ideally like to find them somewhere local. I'd love to take them with me but I'm moving back to Europe and it'd be too much to deal with. They are in a community tank and while I'm looking for a home for all the fish these little fellas are my priority. I've attached some terrible photos. I don't think they were very impressed with the camera invading their space. Hope someone out there can help!
Thanks

Ardillakilla

Re: My Loaches need a new home :(

Post by Ardillakilla » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

How big is the tank they're in now?

I'm in the Sacramento area so not local but within driving distance.

I have a dozen in a 125 SeaClear System II. The oldest are about 13 yr old. I wonder if I'd be overstocked though. I have around 4 big ones and the rest are small/med.

Consider this plan B if you can't find any good homes locally.

It's hard to find good loach homes.

I've seen too many posts on places like monsterfishkeepers where someone boasts about the great deal they got on a shoal of large/old loaches. A day or two later and they're all dying of ich or improper acclimation. Then a few days later they're all dead.

Jhaptal

Post by Jhaptal » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks Ardillakilla, I appreciate the offer. They have been in a 75 gallon tank until recently when I had to put them in a 50 gallon while we pack to move. Someone better qualified than myself could tell you if that's too many fish for your tank. I just want a good home for them. Crazy how you could get so attached to fish!
If I don't find anything more local I may just take you up on your kind offer. To be honest I'm not even sure the best way to get them to you, I've never shipped fish before but I guess it's an option. Anyhow, I've got a few weeks before I have to make a decision so I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

Loachloach

Post by Loachloach » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:30 pm

That must be tough. In 8 years one really gets attached to them. I haven't had mine for even half that time and I look forward to their antics every day. I hope you find them a good home. Ask the new owner a lot of questions to get an idea. They could be just getting them to sell them away or boast about the "big" clown loaches they have until they kill them by "accident"

Ardillakilla

Post by Ardillakilla » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:45 pm

I can drive down there and pick them up. I've moved my loaches across several states so I have a fairly refined process. I also use the same technique to take them to the vet (everything is the same except the drive is much shorter and I don't take any bio media with me).

A friend of mine in LA has been asking me to visit since I moved to CA. Now that I think about it, I'm really bordering on being rude not visiting sooner as it's been nearly 9 years and we're no longer living several states apart.

I could pick up the loaches on the drive back. The distance is trivial compared to past moves.

Jhaptal

Post by Jhaptal » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Wow that's very kind Ardillakilla. I'll PM you to discuss.

Thanks!

Jhaptal

Post by Jhaptal » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice Loachloach. Yeah, it's been a great experience looking after these little guys. It's interesting how individual their personalities can be. I'll miss them.