Pangio breeding tank design- opinions wanted

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

gulogulo

Pangio breeding tank design- opinions wanted

Post by gulogulo » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:47 pm

So, I want to design an aquarium (I'm thinking a 40 breeder) specifically to breed Pangio sp. Right now I have a group of P. semicincta that I am bulking up so I would try it with them if I build it.
This is my idea- I would get some plastic mesh with a 2mm hole size, cut it to fit the aquarium bottom. I would suspend the mesh an inch to an inch and a half off the aquarium bottom and silicone it into place. I would cut a hole it the mesh just large enough for a siphon tube and silicone the siphon tube in place. It would probably be a smaller piece that would be capped and the the cap could be removed for siphoning. Then I would use oak/ almond leaves as the only "substrate".

What do you think? Will it work? Any suggested modifications?

Thanks!
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Uslanja

Re: Pangio breeding tank design- opinions wanted

Post by Uslanja » Sun May 01, 2016 2:21 pm

I am new to Loaches and know nothing about breeding them, but, have you proceeded with your build? I would enjoy seeing and learning along with you!
Dave & Tracy; Loving, Caring and enjoying Creation.

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Tue May 03, 2016 10:17 am

I have not had the time to build the tank yet, in the middle of a complete fish room redesign. When I am done I should have around 2900 gallons of tanks, then one of the first projects after fish tetris will be to try to build this tank
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Uslanja

Post by Uslanja » Mon May 09, 2016 10:42 pm

2900 gallons? That's a small northern lake! What kind of things would a person design in a fish room? Are all of your tanks in the fish room? I have a ton of questions about power distribution, plumbing, heating/cooling, filtering and so many more. I would like to learn more about your design.

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Tue May 10, 2016 2:21 pm

The design part was mostly what size tanks, what layout, and how many tiers can I get in the space I have. I am using about half of my basement for the fish room with one additional 75 gallon in the living as a show tank.
I have acquired some of the tanks but not all of them yet. I will have enough soon to test my designs and make sure everything fits the way I laid it out.
I have not figured out all the plumbing yet, initially I think each tank will be a separate system but many of the tanks are drilled so could be connected to an automatic drain and refill system. I don't want to run a central filtration on the off chance I get a disease in, then all the tanks have it but if its just fresh water in and waste water out the is minimal risk of cross contamination. I can't say I have all the power distribution worked out yet, I may need to add a couple outlets in the ceiling but I have several there now.

To give you an idea of the layout, I have an exterior wall that has a 100 gallon pond at one end and will have about 17 feet of open space between that corner an the rack of random sized tanks along the other end. In the 17 foot space I will be putting a rack that is 15 feet long that holds three rows of 40 gallon breeders with the end facing out. From that exterior wall I have about 13 feet to the internal wall of the stairway. That wall is a little over nine feet, I will put two 55 gallons on the end where the stairs come out back to back perpendicular to the stairs and the exterior wall with the 40 breeders. Bothe of these will be stacked with either another 55 or two 40 long tanks, another 55 two tier will be at the other end of the interior wall oriented the same. Inbetween will be two 125 gallon tanks stacked up (parallel to the stairs). Across from the 125s ad level with the other end of the 55s will be six 20 gallon high tanks, completing a little alcove. In between the 40 breeders and the alcove I will put a row of 55s parallel to the stairs, there should be room for three stacks plus the end will be 75 gallons double stacked.

Uslanja

Post by Uslanja » Sat May 21, 2016 11:19 pm

That is impressive! I like the water change plumbing idea. What are you thinking of using for filtration? What are your stocking plans?

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Mon May 23, 2016 2:00 pm

As I am starting to get tanks in the fish room I am having to make some adjustments but the original plan isn't too far off. When complete I will try to update. As far as tank residents there will be a lot. I am breeding angelfish so a lot of tanks will be designated for that, 8 or 9 pairs plus lots of grow out tanks. the 125s will be lake Malawi and lake Tanganyika tanks respectively. 75s for lake victoria, central or south american cichlids, and the upstairs show tank will probably be clown loaches, it has angels right now. I am also working with various domestic and wild swordtails, some corycats, bristlenose plecos, Dario species, paradise fish, I will have several Pangio tanks, one or two hillstream tanks, a tank for moose face loaches. I want to try to breed freshwater butterflyfish eventually also. I will set up one tank specifically for breeding goby cichlids (Eretmodus cyanostictus), and whatever else I have room for that I find at club auctions, oh, and I will have a pair of discus from the ones my friend has once they pair off.
Eventually I want to turn my 100 gallon pond into a mangrove biotope with mudskippers and archer fish but thats a ways down the road, that tank will probably have its own blog or thread somewhere when I tackle that project.

Filtration will be primarily sponge filters but will run some HOBs and whatever is needed for the particular fish, I don't fuss over filtration as long as there is a lot of biologic filtration and sufficient water flow for the inhabitants.