rain water for clown loach?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Hainguyen

rain water for clown loach?

Post by Hainguyen » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:51 pm

can i use rain water to change water for my clown loach tank? i tested rain water tds at 3ppm. ro water .1ppm, tap water 220ppm. i been using ro water for a year now and my fish is happy in it. i have put 7 of 50 gallons trashcan outside to collect rain water. im trying to save money on ro water. anyone use rain water? is it safe for fish?

Diana

Re: rain water for clown loach?

Post by Diana » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 am

If the rain water is safe at all, then it is safe for Clown Loaches.
If it is collected off a clean roof. A new roof may still be giving off some of the materials it is made of. (I still get a little gravel off mine after 15 years).
If there is any copper in the system the water is probably not good. (Some places have copper trim, gutters or other parts.)
If you are directly downwind of a factory or other place that creates a questionable discharge into the air you might need to be careful of which way the wind is blowing before collecting.

I generally allow the first storm of the season to wash off the roof, then start collecting.
If the water in the tank has higher GH, KH or TDS then go slow with the rain water, or else add some minerals (seachem equilibrium for GH and baking soda for KH). But since you say you are using RO, then whatever minerals you add for the RO would work just fine.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Hainguyen

Post by Hainguyen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:13 pm

i dont collect my water from the roof. i leave my trashcan out in the open and in the middle of my backyard. rain all day yesterday and all my trashcans are full. i will change my water only 50 gallons to see if theyre ok

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:54 pm

Wow! That's some rainfall :D
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.