Some questions about my proposed rivertank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

gb_hil

Some questions about my proposed rivertank

Post by gb_hil » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:58 am

Hello, please allow me to introduce myself and pose a few questions to you folk.

I've been maintaining aquaria since the late 1970's, with the main focus on freshwater planted tanks and brackish tidepool biotopes. A busy summer with too much overseas business has left my living room display tank in a state of shambles, so I'm forced to tear it down and rebuild. Having seen "borneo suckers" on and off for the past 10 years has kindled my interest in a rivertank display.

Since this will be in my living room, it must meet a few criteria or it won't get past the wife.. :lol: . Mainly, it must have some activity, and be nicely planted. Let me tell you my proposed plan, and please tell me where I'm wrong, and guide me if you will.

The tank is a 65 gallon tall AGA brand aquarium. (48"x13"x24")
Current filteration is two Fluval 304 cannisters
Lighting is four 48" t-8 ODNO 4X lamps (~400 watts) 6700k
The substrate is a mixture of Shultz Aquatic Soil and pool filter sand.

I'm planning on building an undergravel manifold, using either a MAG 7 pump and a mazzi venturi injector OR two AquaClear 70 powerheads with their venturi ran by an external air pump for positive air pressure. Any reason I should pick one over the other? I have all the available parts, so cost isn't an issue this time. I also plan to keep one of the fluvals on the tank until the manifold system is fully cycled, and run the other full of peat to soften my water a bit.

The Shultz's Aquatic soil is fired clay with a granule size of 2-8 mm. Provided I can find a way to keep it out of suspension with all the turbulence (it's relatively light) would this be a suitable substrate? It's excellent for growing plants, already cycled, and I find the color attractive. If not, what's another suitable alternative that will allow rosette plants to thrive?

I searched the site but didn't find a list of suitable community fish for a rivertank. I plan to start with white clouds, cherry shrimp and some local coldwater snails found in mountain streams. I'm planning on a tempertaure of 70 degrees F. WHat are some other fish that will be suitable in the tank, keeping in mind they need to be active? The wife has expressed an interest in kuhli loaches...will they be happy in this type of tank?

Last one - is there any source for hillstream loaches in the US that anyone can recommend?