Weather Loach "Albino"

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

lindsayn@rogers.com

Weather Loach "Albino"

Post by lindsayn@rogers.com » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:24 pm

Good Day

I have a question, I have a weather loach she is a year old she over a foot long. The past two week she been sleeping on her back at first I was worried , but they say some do sleep this way actually they sleep in any position. But now I am worried she is on her back a lot , she doesn't eat much she moves but very little. Her color seems normal ( she an albino). I took her in my hands to check for any cuts \ scratches any thing that would look abnormal, but she fine there nothing to on her. So I believe her problem is internal. I change the water everything ok , that way . The temperature is 75 f . My aquarium is 125 gallon this aquarium is made for just for her. The other loach (male) he fine . And I have gurami that they grew up together and they are fine also. Its like she has no energy. Any ideals ....

lindsayn@rogers.com

Re: Weather Loach "Albino"

Post by lindsayn@rogers.com » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Well it's 2 weeks now ..still no change it seen she is suffering .. I feed her peas .. without the shell ..did another water change .. called my local fish store where i got her .. i told her what i did .. I told her my Loach eat at the top and that why i think she got to much air in ..she argues with me telling me Loach do not eat at the top they are bottom feeder .. well surprise mine does .. since I got her she was baby and always fed from the top...her stomach is not bulgy or anything she nice and slim...
yes i am worried, i know this is not normal .. she usually active ...she is not .. and it sad if she dies out of something simple that i could of done ..
any one with suggestions ?????

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

I have not kept weather loaches so may not be the best to answer but I will give it a shot. First, more info might help- What kind of gourami and how big is it? How large are your water changes? If they are less than 50% I would recommend doing a larger water change (50%) evry 2 to three days. What do you normally feed your fish? The temperature seems high for weather loaches, they are cool water fish, if you can lower the temp 5 or 10 degrees it may help, but if they have always been at this temperature it shouldn't be the problem. Its odd that only one of the two loaches is affected, if it was any sort of disease it should have affected both fish. Have you noticed any increase in aggresion from the other loach? Maybe the male was trying to induce spawning in the female and thisngs got too rough? I know nothing about weather loach breeding behavior but this can happen with other fish so it could be a possibility.

I think I asked more questions than answers given but I hope this helps and I hope your loach recovers.
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:12 am

What are the most recent test results? NO3, and any other tests you may have. Increasing water changes may help, even if the test results show things are OK. There are a lot of things in the water that we have no tests for.

75 deg F is within the right range for these fish.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/we ... licaudatus

As for eating at the surface, Loaches are pretty smart fish. They can eat wherever the food is. Yes, they tend to be bottom feeders, but not exclusively. All my Loaches have been quite willing to eat pretty much whatever is offered, wherever it is offered.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

lindsayn@rogers.com

Post by lindsayn@rogers.com » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:45 am

Thank you for the replies .... Has silly this might sound .. I kind of feel alone in this .. and watching her suffer to me is awful. Yes some might say "there just fish" well to me it's more then that ...they are living creature .. that I do care for very much...

At this point (it's been about 3 weeks ) .. I am doing 50% water change every 2 day and and do a 90% water change every 7 days (about) .. I check my water every morning and night .. for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and Ph and high PH range .. i have no ammonia in my water ( due to water change) no nitrate\ nitrite ... ph is 6 ( good ) high PH range is good also ..

I stop feeding for 2 days ---- then I fed frozen peas only -- i do not feed any flakes only shrimp and bottom food ...
My water was pretty well 72.5f to 74 f for her .. since i got her... until i was told a sick fish does better in 80 so I tried that .. it seem to get worse .. so i am bringing the water again to natural what she is used to .
I was told keep lights close to release all stress .. so I did .. noting happen ....
I was told to get a co2 can to add oxygen in the water , with the water change they have enough oxygen i see it .. but i did any way ..noting happen .. no change
then i was told to put salt in my water, i said no because loaches skin are different .. can damage them .. I was told salt would kill all parasite i was told salt is the best cure for fishes ... so ok .. I tried that but only did half of the dosage of what they recommended ...because of their skin and i watch her very closely (because I was afraid ) i even had a chair and a book and stayed there to watch for the first 3 hours.

So my water is most important thing , and I do watch it ...constantly .. and I have another loach (bought at the same time) he alright ,then I have 2 other baby loach that I bought about 6 months ago and they are alright .. no symptom of anything on them __they eat --they play -- in good health .. I have two Blue Gourami and two honey Gold Gourami and two dwarf Gourami they were bought a month after my first month of the loaches .. they grew up together .. so we don't get things confuse .. here .. Over a year ago I bought two loaches (this sick one is one of them) then a month after this i bought 2 blue gourami and 2 honey gourami .. and 2 dwarf gourami they did well together...( i believe in two in fishes) knowing that these loaches grew long I didn't want to over crowed my tank ..my tank is 125 gallon .and I have two filtering machine in my tank ... then six month ago i bought another 2 loaches .. in total i have 10 fish in my 125 gallon tank.. so that not the problem of over crowed ..

.. I got so paranoid .. i took out all the plants .. I empty my tanks of any decorations thinking maybe this was it .. but this is not the case .. i just put plants back in this last Saturday (live plants only) and yesterday I gave her back her hammock..she loves her hammock .. the loaches sleeps in it .. rest .. and the gourami go under it .. so really i am at a lost .. i might of done others things that i cannot remember at this time .. but this is so discouraging .. like i said .. for a few minutes i took her out and with a loop i check her out .. for any cuts any thing on the skin around her gills see if something was there that i couldn't see with the eye.. and i saw nothing .. when she came to me as a baby .... along with this her playmate .. I didn't know what i was getting into .. then I started to researching them .. that how I found out she was albino .. there eyes are red -- these loaches i bought 6 month ago their eyes are black .. but these albino came with a defect there from fin (near the gills) were not develop well .. but that ok .. it didn't seem to bother her and I love her just as much .. she was always active .. as a baby she come up when i went to the tank when i put my hand in the water she come and touch it, then would cradle my fingers and she go right into my hand and stay there .. like wow .. to me that was special .. i put the tank in the living room were it most active .. so they see people walking see the TV... etc i know it might sound crazy .. but that what i did and to me she loved it .. i can go on and on ..

So now .. the only thing left to do .. i do believe its a parasite inside her all the other fishes are ok .. so i am debating on set up the other tank (smaller one its about 30 gallon ) .. in a darker room with just rock for the bottom and a air bubble and leave it at 50% water only so there be no filter .. and give her amoxicillin (human) to see if that would help her .. if it a disease that i cannot see .. maybe the amoxicillin might cure it ..

Her color only change once she went pale .. but then her color came back .. so looking at her you see nothing of unusual.....

lindsayn@rogers.com

Post by lindsayn@rogers.com » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:21 pm

lindsayn@rogers.com wrote:Thank you for the replies .... Has silly this might sound .. I kind of feel alone in this .. and watching her suffer to me is awful. Yes some might say "there just fish" well to me it's more then that ...they are living creature .. that I do care for very much...

At this point (it's been about 3 weeks ) .. I am doing 50% water change every 2 day and and do a 90% water change every 7 days (about) .. I check my water every morning and night .. for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and Ph and high PH range .. i have no ammonia in my water ( due to water change) no nitrate\ nitrite ... ph is 6 ( good ) high PH range is good also ..

I stop feeding for 2 days ---- then I fed frozen peas only -- i do not feed any flakes only shrimp and bottom food ...
My water was pretty well 72.5f to 74 f for her .. since i got her... until i was told a sick fish does better in 80 so I tried that .. it seem to get worse .. so i am bringing the water again to natural what she is used to .
I was told keep lights close to release all stress .. so I did .. noting happen ....
I was told to get a co2 can to add oxygen in the water , with the water change they have enough oxygen i see it .. but i did any way ..noting happen .. no change
then i was told to put salt in my water, i said no because loaches skin are different .. can damage them .. I was told salt would kill all parasite i was told salt is the best cure for fishes ... so ok .. I tried that but only did half of the dosage of what they recommended ...because of their skin and i watch her very closely (because I was afraid ) i even had a chair and a book and stayed there to watch for the first 3 hours.

So my water is most important thing , and I do watch it ...constantly .. and I have another loach (bought at the same time) he alright ,then I have 2 other baby loach that I bought about 6 months ago and they are alright .. no symptom of anything on them __they eat --they play -- in good health .. I have two Blue Gourami and two honey Gold Gourami and two dwarf Gourami they were bought a month after my first month of the loaches .. they grew up together .. so we don't get things confuse .. here .. Over a year ago I bought two loaches (this sick one is one of them) then a month after this i bought 2 blue gourami and 2 honey gourami .. and 2 dwarf gourami they did well together...( i believe in two in fishes) knowing that these loaches grew long I didn't want to over crowed my tank ..my tank is 125 gallon .and I have two filtering machine in my tank ... then six month ago i bought another 2 loaches .. in total i have 10 fish in my 125 gallon tank.. so that not the problem of over crowed ..

.. I got so paranoid .. i took out all the plants .. I empty my tanks of any decorations thinking maybe this was it .. but this is not the case .. i just put plants back in this last Saturday (live plants only) and yesterday I gave her back her hammock..she loves her hammock .. the loaches sleeps in it .. rest .. and the gourami go under it .. so really i am at a lost .. i might of done others things that i cannot remember at this time .. but this is so discouraging .. like i said .. for a few minutes i took her out and with a loop i check her out .. for any cuts any thing on the skin around her gills see if something was there that i couldn't see with the eye.. and i saw nothing .. when she came to me as a baby .... along with this her playmate .. I didn't know what i was getting into .. then I started to researching them .. that how I found out she was albino .. there eyes are red -- these loaches i bought 6 month ago their eyes are black .. but these albino came with a defect there from fin (near the gills) were not develop well .. but that ok .. it didn't seem to bother her and I love her just as much .. she was always active .. as a baby she come up when i went to the tank when i put my hand in the water she come and touch it, then would cradle my fingers and she go right into my hand and stay there .. like wow .. to me that was special .. i put the tank in the living room were it most active .. so they see people walking see the TV... etc i know it might sound crazy .. but that what i did and to me she loved it .. i can go on and on ..

So now .. the only thing left to do .. i do believe its a parasite inside her all the other fishes are ok .. so i am debating on set up the other tank (smaller one its about 30 gallon ) .. in a darker room with just rock for the bottom and a air bubble and leave it at 50% water only so there be no filter .. and give her amoxicillin (human) to see if that would help her .. if it a disease that i cannot see .. maybe the amoxicillin might cure it ..

Her color only change once she went pale .. but then her color came back .. so looking at her you see nothing of unusual.....

lindsayn@rogers.com

Post by lindsayn@rogers.com » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:32 pm

I like to submit a picture .. but can't seem to find the way ....

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 pm

I am not sure how to add a picture. I think you have to do it through another picture uploading site.

Sounds like you are trying many things.

Temperature: On the warm side of the safe range would probably be best. 75 degrees is good.
Salt does not kill internal parasites. Treated the right way, salt can kill external parasites.

If you suspect internal parasites then treat the whole tank.
Parasites have a life cycle that includes some time away from the host, then they go look for a new host. All the fish have been exposed.

Amoxycillin is antibiotic, antibacterial. Won't do anything against internal parasites. If you can get Levamisole, do this one. Boosts the immune system as well as treating for several internal parasites.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Dojosmama

Post by Dojosmama » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 am

I sympathize with your feelings for your Dojos. I have three and they are spoiled rotten. Cute as can be and they know it!

Dojos can feed anywhere in the tank. They primarily feed on the bottom, but I've seen mine forage at the surface, also. It's normal for a weather loach to dash to the surface, gulp air, and dash back down. They can store oxygen within their bodies, and can even live outside of the tank for awhile, if they don't dry out.

I agree that your temperature is a bit too warm for a dojo. I have a cold water tank without a heater, and the temps range from 68F up to about 72 or 74. I don't keep any tropical fish in this tank, just cold water species.

Don't use salt with dojos. Ever.

Sounds like you're trying to do everything you can for her, but she is obviously stressed, and I would say the stress is what is affecting her.

I assume you always dechlorinate any new water you put into your tank? She would never have lived as long as she has if you didn't, so I'm assuming you always dechlorinate before introducing any new water into your aquarium.

Try relocating your gouramis into a different tank. Maybe they are being aggressive against the loaches. A lot of aggressive behavior can go on when you aren't around to witness it.

Also, try feeding your loach a balanced diet. Have you tried frozen brine shrimp, or those frozen combination packs sold at most fish stores? Thaw it out before feeding. Also, algae pellets softened in water before feeding, and a variety of good quality fish food to balance out the nutrition could help a lot.

What kind of water conditioner do you use with your water changes? Seachem's Prime has the added benefits of soothing the skin of the fish as well as neutralizing ammonia (temporarily) and dechlorinating the water. It's the best water conditioner for aquariums, in my opinion.

The other thing is, I would try not to handle her too much. There are oils in human skin that may irritate her sensitive coating. No soap residue or lotions on hands if you must handle her. Better to catch her in an aquarium net and examine her that way.

Aside from these suggestions, I'm not sure what to tell you. Your tank is plenty large enough to support the loaches, at 175 gallons.

WHY do fish store employees always have to argue one point of view so arbitrarily?