Why are they not eating

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

SwimmingForever

Why are they not eating

Post by SwimmingForever » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 am

So I got my Clown Loaches three weeks ago. I originally had them in quarantine in my 10 Gal. for a few weeks before moving them into my 55 Gal. Only one survived the quarantine period and I moved him into my 55. The thing is, I don't really know if he is eating. It almost seems as if he isn't eating at all because of the Rosy Barbs he shares the tank with. He does swim around a lot more in the 55. Right now the parameters are 5.8 - 6.2 for the PH, the ammonia levels are less than 0.02 ppm and the temperture of the water sits at 80 (F). Maybe he just eats at night? or when I leave the room? I put in some shrimp pellets as well as some krill pellets. Occasionally I will put in some lettuce for the Barbs. Any thoughts?

redshark1

Re: Why are they not eating

Post by redshark1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi and welcome.

My thoughts and questions based on what I understand are:

Ammonia is present? How are you measuring it? I guess that is free ammonia which is toxic. Even so it is a low value. Here pet shops have to keep their ammonia at 0.02 or under as a condition of their licence.

Why did the others not survive the quarantine? Isn't quarantine meant to benefit the fish? What killed them? What was the ammonia level then? Why did you move the remaining Clown Loach into the 55 if the others were dying?

Have you checked for whitespot (very common with new Clown Loaches).

If the Clown Loach is eating he will surely eat frozen bloodworm (when thawed and rinsed). Live bloodworm is the only superior food in this situation. It can be put in his cave and you can check if it is eaten.

I hope things are going better.

80~F for Rosy Barbs? I don't think so. You may need to look into this.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.