Notropis Chrosomus in hillstream tank

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Iris76

Notropis Chrosomus in hillstream tank

Post by Iris76 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:58 am

Hi everyone,
It's been a long while since i have posted on this forum.
I have sold my old tank, eventually wanted a bigger tank to start a Myanmar biotope but ended up, surprisingly, with a hillstream! :mrgreen: my tank now I use the manifold river setup by Martin Thoene and it works great. I had major black brush algea problems the first 1,5 year but that &x%*! algae is reducing, my plants finally started to grow and the tank looks way better these days.
The bba isn't completely gone, but i can live with it now.

As dither fish i have 1 big swimming school in my tank, Danio Choprae's but they are getting old and the school is getting smaller. So i added a few Notropis Chrosomus to get in place of the old school.
The Danio's can take their time and live their days and the shiners can grow. They are now 6 weeks old, so they are still small. But it is fun to watch how they hang on in the current and to see them play.
So small and yet such strong swimmers. This is my first Notropis school and i already love them. Can't wait to see them mature and watch their colours change when they are getting ready to spawn.

If you have tips and trips for the shiners, i'm happy to take your advice. I'll keep you posted when they have grown and post some more about my tank.

In my tank, besides Helena and trumpet snails:
12 x Gastromyzon Ocellatus
3 x Gastromyzon Scitulus
1 x Chaetostoma Thomsoni
6 x Amano shrimp
2 x Stiphodon Semoni (couple)
30+ Danio Choprae (started with 60, 2 yrs ago)
27 NotropisChrosomus (young)
"Only dead fish go with the flow "

NancyD

Re: Notropis Chrosomus in hillstream tank

Post by NancyD » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Your tank looks great. Have looked at http://www.nanfa.org/ for shiner info?

Iris76

Re: Notropis Chrosomus in hillstream tank

Post by Iris76 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks for your compliment and tip.
It is much appreciated.

My shiners are doing very well.
Some of the bigger ones are sometimes swimming among the Choprae's. It's a funny sight.
I feed my fish wafers and spirulina tablets that i first soak in some fishtamin and then stick to the glass. All fish can eat or graze from the tablets and i see the shiners eat the fine particles that drift off in the tank. All get their share.
"Only dead fish go with the flow "