Red finned tiger loach compatibiliy

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

IsaacL

Red finned tiger loach compatibiliy

Post by IsaacL » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:29 pm

So I want to add a red finned tiger loach to a 55g with clown loaches. Other tank mates include snakeskin gourami, danios, sword tails, platinum gourami. Only fish confirmed for the tank are clown loaches. Those are just the few fish I have narrowed down for the tank. Red finned tiger loaches are on the aggressive. If the red fin isn't a mix please let me know.

Diana

Re: Red finned tiger loach compatibiliy

Post by Diana » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:48 am

I have not kept them, but reading through this, I am not sure the smaller fish are a good idea. I think I would avoid most other bottom fish, and select fast, somewhat pushy mid to upper tank fish. Perhaps some Rainbow fish? They can be fast moving. Research optimum water conditions, too.
What size tank do you have?

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/sy ... -berdmorei

Here is an article that includes some ideas about setting up a fast moving stream sort of habitat. I have done this also with a canister filter, setting up the intake and outlet at opposite ends of the tank.

http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstr ... -fast-lane
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

redshark1

Post by redshark1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:56 pm

I have not kept them, but after reading the species profile I would be dissuaded from placing one with my Clown Loaches. The profile explained that they are aggressive. Clown Loaches certainly are not and I think they would not enjoy the company of an aggressive species.
6 x Clown Loaches all 30 years of age on 01.01.2024, largest 11.5", 2 large females, 4 smaller males, aquarium 6' x 18" x 18" 400 ltr/90 uk gal/110 US gal. approx.

Diana

Post by Diana » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 am

I re-read the initial post and see this is just a 55 gallon. This is not even big enough for clown loaches, certainly not enough bottom territory for an aggressive bottom fish added into the mix.

55 gallon:
Botia kubotai, plus mid and upper tank fish. A bristlenose Pleco or several Otocinclus for algae. Plants, driftwood.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!