White-spot finally gone

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mad Duff

White-spot finally gone

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:40 am

Some of you may remember a while ago on another thread I mentioned that my Clowns have been suffering with reoccurring white-spot, well after some advice I raised the temperature in the aquarium to 87' and treat the tank with Protozon and carried out small water changes each morning. 2 days after the last dose of Protozin the white-spot was still there on the clowns but no other fish so I raised the temperature to 90' and after the second day at 90' I lost one of my big rainbows that I had owned for over 7 years and the white-spot seemed to be getting worse on the Clowns :( .

I then brought the temperature back down to 87' as a couple of other rainbows were not looking happy, I cleaned out the external canisters and did a large gravel vac and commenced another round of Protozin. Straight away the fish picked up but the white-spot showed no sign of retreat, after finishing the second round of Protozin 4 Clowns still had white-spot. So now at my wits end I decided to do a couple of small water changes each day for 4 days and treat the tank with Myxazin (which was on order), well today is the last of 5 days of the Myxazin Treatment and the white spot had vanished by day 3 :D .

All the fish seem happier and there is no sign of anyone flashing at all, it says on the bottle that Myxazin can be used to treat white-spot in seawater aquariums but doesn't mention freshwater aquariums but it has worked :shock: . I can only think that either the strain of white-spot I had is somehow resistant to Protozin or the half doses just weren't enough to do the job.

I dont know if anybody else is interested (I have alreday told Graeme and like me he thought it was a good deal) I have just ordered my Protozin, Myxazin and Sterazin from http://www.exceldiscus.com/shopmeds.shtml who are selling 500ml bottles for £12 incuding P+P which is a big saving considering most shops charge upto £18 for the same stuff.

I think I should change my user name to Happy Duff :lol:

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?