Rosy loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:12 pm

Frank M. Greco stated
I'll tell you...the hobby here in New York is so dead. Used to be NY was at the forefront of the hobby, but not anymore

Well I can assure you its not in Kansas either :wink: Very few specie here at all. Very few shops for that matter.... :x

janma

Post by janma » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:27 pm

I ordered ten Rosy's from the shop that had them. It was in Helsinki so they came with the buss. I was about to get only 9 but we came to a agreement that I payed a little more and got 10. Sadly this story hasn't a happy ending, yet.

I called the shop and they told me they will be at buss/truck terminal at 21:05. Went there in time and the guy working there told me that they had already been there some hours earlier, my danger sense gave a tingle. Got the styrofoambox and drove home, felt all the drive something was wrong. Got home and opened the box, cold. Three bags that felt too cold, counted the fish and only nine of which one was dead :cry:

Now the eight I have left are in a small quarantine tank with a heater and air pump. One looked really thin, but the rest seemed to be fine at least outwards.

I e-mailed the shop already and hoping for a reply ASAP or I'll call if there is no response. Feel really bad about this. Poor fishes. :cry:
-Janne

Kalevi

Post by Kalevi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:31 pm

Sorry to hear that, Janne. :cry:
I hope the rest'll do fine.

Kalevi

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:43 pm

Fingers crossed for the rest of them, Janne. :wink: I seem to remember these coming in very skinny, but they soon gained weight with lots of feeds of small frozen foods (we prepare a mix for tiny species that consists of baby brineshrimp, daphnia and cyclops).

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

janma

Post by janma » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:30 am

Well it seems we got a happy ending. The Rosy Bunch is doing fine, eating and fretting around. Gotta get some more but will wait until they are available at LFS. These seem to never stay still and always around, don't seem get scared like Sid's for example.
-Janne

adrea

Post by adrea » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks to the assistance of MisterGreen I have just found out that a lone fish that I fell in love with and bought at the LFS today is a Rosy Loach! Yaaayyy!!!! She came in as a stray with a shipment of Celestial Pearl Danios a year ago and since no one knew what she was no one ever bought her. So on a whim, and with love at first site, I bought her for $2.99 Canadian, what a steal!

She has spent most of her time with black Khuli Loaches which was our initial purchase and we have her in QT with them right now. She still seems to be in good spirits- she seems very healthy, she is super curious, outgoing and busy doing her own thing... My dilemma is that I need to find her some more Rosy Loaches - which I do not think is going to be that easy. In the mean time (and since I never mind having yet another type of loach) can anyone think of a similar kind of loach that is perhaps a bit easier to buy that she might best relate to? I really feel bad that she does not have any more of her kind.

If you have any other tips you would like to share about the care of Rosy Loaches I would love any advice you may have.

Thanks for all of your help!

:) Adrea

janma

Post by janma » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 am

You were correct about the weight gaining, Emma. It seems to help that these eat small shrimps, saw one doing it yesterday. That's fine with me, been trying to somehow control the shrimp population. The Rosy are little big fish, they don't respect size of bigger fish when feeding time. They are a joy to watch. And though there are only eight of them, they seem to be everywhere.
-Janne

KittyKat

Re: Rosy loaches

Post by KittyKat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I've been eyeing up loaches for a while and, having finally settled on these, spent a few months trying to find them. A couple of days ago, I managed to place an order for 10 with a local drop-shipper and the delivery from the wholesalers is tomorrow. As the company is local, I will be able to at least pick them up myself for this part of the journey.

I assume these will be wild caught as I am yet to see this species flooding the market (my usual LFS were unable to order them in for me). Since I have never quarantined wild caught fish, is it generally recommended that these are de-wormed in quarantine? If yes, which medications that are available in UK/EU are recommended?

I already have daphnia, shrimp and the usual foods for the Danio margaritatus that these are eventually going in with, do the rosy loaches benefit from some vegetable matter in their diet? Any recommendations on prepared foods for mixing in with the live foods?
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:20 pm

I'd try to get info. about the wholesale(importing company), they might have been already dewormed and possible in quarantine too. Quarantine I would do with ALL new additions. I personally do ich.-prophylaxis.

Congratulations to thosde nice little and charming loaches.
Wolfram

KittyKat

Post by KittyKat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:24 pm

They've offered a time slot tomorrow evening for collection (which I can't make), and finally given me a mobile number to call them at, so I'll try to get more information tomorrow and to collect on Friday.
Kat
stock list | main display tank | 60 litre cycle log (ex- guide for beginners) | Flickr

ClownLoachSharky

Post by ClownLoachSharky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:56 am

They are nice lil' loaches. Great work Emma in hunting them down like every other loach :D
You wouldnt have that problem with a V8