Rosy loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Do the pandas look anything like this? This little guy came mixed with some kuhlis from Vietnam a couple of years ago. The obvious difference was that it was chunkier than other black kuhlis types of the same size and its swimming style was a bit stiffer. This fish was fresh in so I assume its colors are faded.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi Susan! Not sure of their temperament just yet as they are a new species and are still very young. At the moment they are very active and are fine with their tankmates (the kuhlis and the Garras).

Ken, yes that looks like a faded version of the Panda kuhlis. Interesting that it came in with a batch from Vietnam. I'm still digging to find out any info from the Singapore supplier.... :?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Susan i reckon oooh pretty fish is quite a good reaction to pictures like Emma's :D

that would be good to have another LOL meet. last time went very quickly :evil: now is December or new year better for people's pockets? and how does december tie in with christmas shopping?

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:54 pm

Those are awesome. Thats the first time Ive ever seen those. You really have some quality fish :D

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:06 pm

I finally got one of the pics to load up and I've never seen those rosy loaches before.

The panda kuhli does look similar to the fish in the pic I posted
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:12 pm

Any idea what are the requirements for these guys (in case they show up here, as I hope they will)?
Specifically, temperature and current?

I'm guessing it is actually tropical, probably around 75F, with little current ?

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:05 pm

Hey Emma, I like the sand in that picture. It looks more like very small pebbles.

Is it a brand name specifically for fish, or is it some generic kind of sand?

Does anyone know where one might find something like this here in the states?

Sorry for getting off-topic - nice fish!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:53 pm

mikev wrote:Any idea what are the requirements for these guys (in case they show up here, as I hope they will)?
Specifically, temperature and current?

I'm guessing it is actually tropical, probably around 75F, with little current ?
Since no-one has postively ID'd them yet, we can't be all that precise. They are on our loach system which at the moment is running at around 80 deg F. Ours are tiny specimens, the biggest being an inch TL absolute max, and they move quickly around the tank at all levels. Our stock tanks have a fair amount of flow, but I think they would actually be a little uncomfortable with any additional flow at this stage. They remind me a bit of young Yunnanilus brevis.
pedzola wrote:Hey Emma, I like the sand in that picture. It looks more like very small pebbles.

Is it a brand name specifically for fish, or is it some generic kind of sand?
Thank you. :D The sand is what we call 'Silica sand' over here, and I think several aquatics manufacturers sell it. There are a couple of different grades, and this is the very fine stuff (it might look like mini pebbles in the photos as the fish are teeeeny and the camera is zoomed right in :wink: ).

Emma

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm hoping the current in my one tank isn't too strong for them. I do have plenty of plants in there so that would protect them somewhat. With any luck the Rosy Loaches will be in the US within a week. They turned up early today on an export list here and he's hoping Sunday. From what I've read on some other forums, they are starting to turn up everywhere.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:04 pm

Nothing is confirmed as of their natural habitat in which can be transferred into a tank environment. Only visual observations. Plenty current is good but nothing like our loved 'sucker' Hillsteamers would be wise for now.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:02 pm

Yodaspeak Graeme does. :P

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:21 pm

Ahh! You know when i've had a 'few' then......... :wink:

*hic*

dlenn

Post by dlenn » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:30 am

Helen

If the LOL UK meet is December and we have received the new tank and have set it up as "Loach Paradise" as it is going to be does that mean Christmas shopping for new loaches/loach companions ?? :wink: Plus most of my reactions include "oooh pretty fish/loach"

Emma

If the Rosy loaches are lovers of warmer temperatures than the Hillstreams then they won't be able to join our in "Loach Paradise" tank. :(

They are so cute though, LES.. thinks we might have to start planning a tropical loach tank next......

Did not realise they were completely new loach additions. I just tend to assume people here have seen most variations of loaches. Will watch with interest.

They are taking over...... who needs a dining room anyway? So far 2 foot tank, quarantine tank and baby Hillstream tank - New 4 foot tank on its way if Seashell and our LFS sort it out and potential plans for replacing 2 foot tank with 3 foot tank if my work colleagues parents decide they are going to sell it.

dlenn
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 am

Did not realise they were completely new loach additions. I just tend to assume people here have seen most variations of loaches. Will watch with interest.
Never assume.......

Cobitidae

.....and Balitoridae has 638 species. You need more tanks :P ......and several lifetimes.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Tony T.

Post by Tony T. » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:19 pm

So how is the rosy brookloach now? Getting nice and firm body yet? :wink: