Rosy loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Rosy loaches

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:39 pm

And finally......another new loachy addition this week are these beautiful tiny Rosy Loaches. The supplier listed them as Tuberoschistura arakanensis, but I think there is still debate going on over on petfrd as to a definite ID.

I have never seen such lively little loaches. They are no more than 1" TL absolute max, so they were very tricky to photograph, especially with being on the move all the time. They love digging about in the sand and swimming around at all levels of the tank, investigating anything they find (including me :P - see later in thread). There seem to be two variations in colour, which I'm presuming must be the male/female difference. The real red ones literally glow like little embers - truly stunning. They came in quite underweight, but hopefully we'll soon fix that with plenty of feeds of tiny foods. :D

Here are 2 Rosy Loaches (presumably female at the front and male at the back) with a Panda kuhli loach....

Male left, female right?

Look at that glow!

With a Panda kuhli:

Not overly clear, but you can see the long barbels:

This is the stock tank that these Rosy Loaches and Panda kuhli loaches are living in. They are sharing with some young Garra rufa:

I put my hand in the tank to take out a couple of floating leaves that had broken off from the plants, and the Rosy Loaches were instantly attracted! :shock: I suppose if anything, I had half expected the Garras to be the ones who might come over to see 'what I was' (seeing as this species is the one that is famed for nibbling at people's skin) but they were nowhere near as interested as the loaches (please ignore my chipped nail varnish! :oops: :lol: ). I held my hand there for a few minutes and they really seemed to enjoy nibbling at me - it was really ticklish!!!:

Hope you enjoyed all the photos,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:41 pm

Wow!!!!!

The best of all comes last....

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Amazing little guys!
I can't wait to see what they look like after you fatten them up.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:49 pm

RIGHT!! Thats it! :lol: I'm driving down sooner rather than later! Mark! In two weeks time i'm driving south, you coming? Keep 6 males and 3 females for me please, Emma.

These are truly spectacular! 8) (where's me car keys)

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Heheheh! No panic, Mr R. They won't be going on sale just yet. Not until we've treated them and fattened them up. :wink:

Emma

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Calmness has now been restored. :wink:

Still driving down in a couple of weeks. :P

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:56 pm

Once again stunning fish Emma.

I actually had a couple of fish that looked very similar to them in fact almost identical, I got the about 9 years ago from a shop in Hull, they got them in and didn't know what they were. One of the local experts said that they were a species of Lepidocephalus, they let me have all 3 for £5 and they lived quite happily in a tank full of endlers and never bothered them or the fry but they did come up to your hand as soon as you went in the tank, sometimes they even swam straight into the net because they were to busy investigating :lol: . If they were the same fish and I am 90% sure they were I think from those photo's mine were all female.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:59 pm

Can you remember what they where called, Mark?

sophie

Post by sophie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Calmness has now been restored. :wink:

Still driving down in a couple of weeks. :P
come via Brum, pickusuponnaway, and I'll deliver on the IOU for wine (and petrol money!)
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:05 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Can you remember what they where called, Mark?
If I remember correctly they had them marked up as Orange Stone Loach, like I said they didnt know what they were really because they werent on the shipping list. To be honest I always thought they may have been either Nemacheilus or Acanthocobitis rather than Lepidocephalus but Im no expert :? .

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:19 am

i spent too long looking at these pictures and the panda khulis last night. i got caught as i burned the tea, and the house stank of burnt toast.

they are lovely. i need more tanks :?

LES..

Meet?

Post by LES.. » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:59 am

So what's the date for the next UK LOL meet?

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:35 am

How big are these picture files? I want to see these fish so to speed things up I copied the link for one shot to another browser so only one was loading. I went upstairs, used the toilet, changed my clothes and came back to find that the pic still hasn't loaded. Now I have to go to work and can't leave my phone line blocked so I have to sign off. :cry:

Emma how long will you keep these pics up on photobucket? If they're still up, the next time I have access to highspeed I'll take a look at them. It's possible I've seen the fish before.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 am

LES.. us UK loachaholics can have another meet anytime. :D Graeme and Mark were planning on coming down in December, so we could always organise something around that time, or in the new year if it's better for everyone?

Ken, don't worry, I have no plans to move the photos from photobucket, they'll probably be there for years yet knowing me! :lol:

Emma

dlenn

Post by dlenn » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:00 pm

Aww, they are sooo cute.

How would they get on with P.Cheni's ?

Apologies if this is a stupid question, LES.. is the one with the knowledge(though I'm learning I think) I'm just the one going ooooh pretty fish! filling the buckets for water changes and feeding the fish in the mornings.

dlenn
Surprises in small packages
Binabik
Tad Williams