Woke up to a Disaster

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chris1932

Sorry for your loss

Post by chris1932 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:33 pm

Martin

I am sorry for and your wife. Loosing any beloved animal is very hard.

I have recieved the results from postmortem examination of my group of sewellia. The culprit in all 4 cases Furunculosis Aeromonas internal infection. Major organ damage to gills and anterior kidney.
As of this point I do not have the photos but should get them later this week.

I hope you get things squared up in your clown tank. Are you doing any type of preventitave med in the tank?

Chris and Dee
Hello all from Happy River
I have lost count of how many tanks I have

Dave_2133

Post by Dave_2133 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:41 pm

sorry to hear that Martin, they were great looking fish.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:46 pm

So sorry to hear about your fish, Martin. :(
They certainly were nice specimens. It sounds like you got the problem solved, though.
It just shows how quickly things can change in a tank with even the best of care.
Hang in there!!

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:25 pm

Well the good news is all the remaining 10 Clowns are OK.
Just doing another big water-change and discovered two more Tiger Barbs dead within the depths of the windelov fern. What's up with that? How come they haven't died in the open?

Hopefully, that's the last of them that I have to find. I've given it a good rake through with my fingers. It's so thick though that I can't be sure. That's half the trouble with this tank. the Clowns love the cover that the windelov covered bogwood and driftwood provides, but it makes the task of head counting nigh impossible.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:28 pm

Great to hear that the rest are doing well.
:D

DancesAlone

Post by DancesAlone » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:50 pm

I'm suspecting that one or two Tiger Barbs died. They've been popping off one or two at a time for a few weeks now. Old age I guess.

If memory is correct here :? you have not had those Tiger's for a really long time, bought them at a large size not a real long time ago? If that is correct you might wish to treat your tank as Tiger's live a longtime. The large group that I had for several years were bought when large (trade ins by someone else) and then I traded them back in after having them for several years.

Some of those died a few at a time like you are describing and turned out that they had a parasite issue and then developed bacterial infection. Treated with Kanamycin and Paraguard II. Stopped all further deaths. They appeared to look ok but also died in the plants. Kind of bloated looking ) they were really chunky anyways from Miss overfeed here!!)

Thought it was worth letting you know. So very sorry about your clown loss......how sad. Thankfully not all perished. Have you tried putting a sponge over the intakes? After countless plugged XP's here thats how I remideed that issue. It was happening all the time................

I bow to you also as I feel like such a novice in comparison to your years of experience that I hesitate to even suggest or mention anything! Hope all of your remaining Clowns will be fine now.
Older now but still running against the wind....
Dance like no one is watching
Sing like no one is listening
and Live each day like it's your last

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm sorry too Martin. I agree with what you said about having trouble with a head count. Any more than than 8 or so & I'm unsure if they are missing or hiding or just too fast. It sounds like you're getting things back under control now.
Nancy

sully

Post by sully » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:52 pm

Martin, sorry to read that. I had a similar proble awhile back. I lost 5 Clowns, 3 Yo-Yo's and 3 kubotai.

Everyone else was ok.

Without going into detail I arrived at the oxygen conclusion. Even though there was some opportunity for gram negative nasties to get into the water column.

nuvolari

Post by nuvolari » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:20 am

martin i feel for you.

I know how you feel these things sneak up on you.

I got my river tank for my L104 plecos and it sometimes bites me. Just got to keep up the mantinace on the plumbing. These has cause me the most problems. flow restiction.

Hope everything gets ok again soon

peacefulfishie

Post by peacefulfishie » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:19 am

I'm so sorry. I haven't had my tank going for very long, but for the last month, since I had a case of ICH, I have had nothing but trouble. It seemed like everyday I would wake up and find another dead fish. Got to the point I didn't want to get up. The first ones I lost were clown loaches, and I cried. Your loss has provided me some valuable info, so know that they didn't die in vain. They are helping my tank from "the other side."