Woke up to a Disaster

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Woke up to a Disaster

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:30 am

Walked past the Clown tank first thing this morning and suddenly see fish hanging at the surface. OMG! and then I see dead Tiger Barbs and Clowns. :cry:

I don't know yet what the hell happened, but I've lost 1 large Clown, 2 smaller ones and 8 Tiger Barbs so far. I'm right now doing a massive water-change and raking through the mases of Windelov fern to see if I can find any more bodies.

My suspicion based on two of these TBs being somewhat fuzzy is that they died yesterday maybe and turned the water.

However, one of the spraybars isn't producing a great deal of water, so there may be a filter blockage of some kind.

I nearly cried. All these Clowns have been mine or Momfish's for many years and it's like losing friends :cry:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:36 am

Oh Martin, I'm so sorry to hear the sad news. :cry: :cry: :cry:
It is always very difficult when you lose fish that have been with you a long time.
Once you've done the water change and looked at the filter it will be worth checking ammonia and nitrite levels to see what's going on. I know it's a chemical, but they may benefit from a dose of ammo-lock etc as an emergency measure, but you won't know until the tests have been done.

Good luck my friend,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:52 am

Oh man! Martin I had a flashback of losing that big clown of mine and my guts just knotted, the adrenaline kicked in and I remember that god-awful feeling. :cry: I'm so sorry to hear it.

Hope you can head any other losses off at the pass. Breathe.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:14 am

sorry to hear that Martin. i hope you fix the problem before any more fish get sick or die. i felt really bad when just 1 of my danios died. its so horrible and i sympathise with you. :cry: :cry: :cry:

best wishes

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:24 am

Oh! That really sucks!! I'm sorry to hear such bad news. :cry:

My condolences to you. :cry:

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: Yes, I have that knotted gut feeling. Also because I haven't eaten breakfast yet....my next task.

Here's the damage..........

It appears to be a combination of circumstances that did the damage. I'm suspecting that one or two Tiger Barbs died. They've been popping off one or two at a time for a few weeks now. Old age I guess.

The Aquaclear 500 HOB intake sucked up a load of plant debris from the copious growth of Windelov fern in the tank and knocked its flow way down. Normally, this causes a lot of surface disturbance, so I guess O2 levels dropped.

And then, one of the Rena's had suddenly slowed up. It too had oodles of plant debris in it and it returns via a spraybar mounted crossways near the top of the tank. Again this causes surface rippling and that was reduced too.....more O2 depletion.

Remedial action? Cleaned out the HOB intake, cleaned the Rena.....it was only done two weeks ago......I rotate doing each Rena (there's 2). I also put a positive air feed onto one of the small powerheads on the River-Tank manifold in there so now there's positive air bubbling going on.

Lessons to be learned? Big fish need lots of oxygen. When you've a lot of Clowns in a tank have multiple systems for filtration and aeration. If one fails, there's backup. I was real unfortunate in this case that the two primary systems that cause surface agitation failed at the same time.

Momfish lost a bunch of Uaru years ago when a filter hose collapsed. Same effect, low O2 levels.

In this case the dead Tiger Barbs probably was the clincher. I haven't checked Ammonia or Nitrite levels yet and no doubt they're reduced by the 60% water-change, but I'm betting they were not good because the water smelt fishy.

Right....I'd better go eat some breakfast....not that handling slimey dead smelly fish first thing in the morning is good for the appetite.

Sh*t!

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 am

They were beauties, Martin. So sad. :cry: I know exactly the feeling you describe upon seeing a disaster like that, that impending sense of doom. Lucky you weren't away for a few days as it probably would have been a total wipe-out.

Keep us posted on the others, fingers crossed they will all be ok now.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:54 am

They were very nice fish Martin, sorry to hear about your problems :( .

Hopefully youve sorted the problem now and the others will be ok.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:35 am

Tested the water..........

Nitrite = 0

Ammonia = 0

Nitrate = around 25mg/L , so I bet that was a whole lot higher before the W/C.

pH = 7.4

Can't do the hardness 'cos I can't find the colour chart

02 content = 8mg/L

All the survivors look happy enough now. the Clowns and kubotai are swimming around in good colour.

Martin.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:38 am

Very sorry to hear this :cry:

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:15 pm

Hallo Martin,

I want to express deepest sympathy. I was quit shocked by this kind of news. Such a morning sight must have hurt you, I am sorry.

Like Emma states, you were lucky, to be available to save the survivers.

... I don´t really expect reply to my following post, just want to show how close we all are sometimes, to things happen, If I hadn´t been home when the filter was switched back on last night ... all my friends could have been poisoned!

...I was close to disaster also yesterday... I was out (day+night) and the filter was off power, coming home, I had nitrite of about 0.6 - 0.8ppm!!! (for about half an hour - I think) after the filter was swiched on again (which was fatal).

I changed 80%(!) water last night (to bring it down to 0.3 )... I never saw such a high value at all... Cleaned the o/s-filter and only partial cleaned the Bio-filter (O/s filter powers it). Only partial cleaning the biofilter, - hoping, I still have live bacterials in my clearing sludge as there are 10litres (2imp / 3US gal.) water in there (so i left about 40% sludge in there). This morning NH2 was down to 0.035, typically I expect to find 0 ppm. In my setup oxygen comes from the plants, light-out could be deadly.
I will, in my new tank, use different electric-cercuits, in case one looses a fuse and nobody is home... if main fuse goes?! ... need to think about that ... checking, if the telefone answering mashine is on-power and have it on same cercuit, or so, when out for a while... will also use at least 2 pumps to run bio-filter...

Best regards

Wolfram

newshound

Post by newshound » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 pm

man that is really sad news!!!!

sorry I know you loved your clowns.

my aquaclears were always getting jammed up at the intakes from plant leaves etc...
I put a sponge over the intake so it takes far more to clog the opening.
drain your pool!

sophie

Post by sophie » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:20 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:30 pm

This is sad news. I'm very sorry to hear it.

Martin- I believe your assessment is correct about the low O2 levels.

I'm not sure if any of this is related, but a few years ago, the Human Biosphere Project had a similiar low O2 at night problem. The people in the biosphere would wake up at night gasping for air. It took them along time to figure out that the plants inside consumed most of the O2 during the night time hours.

I've had the same problem with my tanks too, with the fish gasping for air at night. I've decreased the plant load and have some airstones on a timer that turn on only at night.

If there is ever a power failure while I'm not at home, I'm hoping that my plant load is low enough that they won't consume all the O2 in my tanks.

The Kapenta Kid

Post by The Kapenta Kid » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 pm

chefkeith wrote:

Martin- I believe your assessment is correct about the low O2 levels.
I concur, that was my first thought when I read your bad news, sounds like low O2.

I've lost a few cyprichromis cichlids, which are apparently highly O2 deficiency sensitive, due to elevated temps or clogged filters reducing O2 before I was aware there was a problem building up.