Sewellia's (Aeromonas)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

mikev

Sewellia's (Aeromonas)

Post by mikev » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:08 pm

As not to hijack Martin's thread further, splitting this off
On another thread Chris1932 wrote:I have recieved the results from postmortem examination of my group of sewellia. The culprit in all 4 cases Furunculosis Aeromonas internal infection. Major organ damage to gills and anterior kidney.
As of this point I do not have the photos but should get them later this week.
Sorry about your loss.

If you get a replacement, it may not be such a bad idea to treat them with antibiotics upon the arrival, it seems to improve the survival rate of hillstreams.

I strongly suspect that Aeromonas were involved in a couple of unpleasant experiences in the past here too.

I was lucky with Sewellia so far: my group, which was incidentally shipped from Vietnam at the same time as yours, is doing fine so far (10 days here after a 2-week quarantine by the importer). After a couple of disasters, I generally stopped buying hillstreams that were not quarantined by the seller. If you still did not get a replacement, I heard that there will be another shipment in 2-3 weeks.