About botias and fast moving water current

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Vancmann

About botias and fast moving water current

Post by Vancmann » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 pm

In my experience, most botias love to play and swim against fast moving water weather it is from a 1000 GPH pump or simulated rivertank. The happerier they are, the more they seem to love it. Afterall, many if not all, of them were born in rivers. Keep in mind however, in a river there are many places where there are little to no current, like behind a rock, a piece of bamboo, a cave, a hole ect, usually where they are caught. I have found that my botias spend most of their time in the calmest part of my tank, especially when they rest, which is quite often.
I once experimented with a botia modesta who was very fond of his cave (between two rocks) that he garded it against any other fish for months. That is until I decided to redirect the flow of a 300GPH powerhead filter to send a portion of its flow through its cave. He was not too protective of it afterwards and eventually moved out.
I just wanted to post this, what I have experienced, to anyone designing a rivertank or a tank with high flowing water throughout.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.